DelShereeGladden Presents: An Exclusive First Look

Exclusive First Look at:

The Only Shark in the Sea

Date Shark #3

By

DelSheree Gladden

1: The Why

There was something about Stephanie's glare that made Vance want to laugh. He held it in, knowing she wouldn't speak to him for the rest of the night if he didn't. He slid his tie into place and turned to face her. "Steph, why are you so annoyed about this? I've been helping Guy with the date shark thing for months. You've never minded me stepping in with the difficult clients before, so why now?"

Crossing her arms, she pursed her lips at him. "This time is different. You're going alone."

"It wasn't my choice." Vance sighed. Walking over to his upset girlfriend, he tried to pull her to him, but she resisted. "Guy's flight back from the conference was delayed by weather and it was too late to cancel with his client."

"I know all of that," Stephanie said, pouting, "but I still don't like this."

"Why?"

Vance was honestly surprised by Stephanie's resistance. He had been helping his friend with his dating coach business since his wife, Charlotte, was released from the hospital after complications of her chemotherapy treatment. That was four months ago. She had never once complained or felt threatened by Vance helping Guy out with some of the more challenging cases that needed more than what a few rounds of coaching could provide.

Guy usually called him in when one of his clients exhibited deep-seated emotional issues that were affecting their ability to form and keep proper relationships. Because Guy's psychiatry background was mainly in the hospital setting, he liked to get Vance's opinion on some of his clients during what he referred to as the "date night," where he would take his client on a practice date and coach them through the evening on behavior and boundaries.

Since college, Vance had chosen to specialize in helping patients recover from traumatic experiences, which often included abuse or troubling childhoods. Many of Guy's difficult clients fell into one of those categories. As he thought about the client he intended to meet, his brow furrowed.

"That's why," Stephanie said, drawing him out of his thoughts.

Confused, Vance look at her intently. "What?"

"The look you just had on your face. I heard what Guy said when you were talking about her last week."

Vance shook his head. "All he said was that she was different." He shrugged, not understanding at all.

"Exactly," Stephanie snapped. "That's what Eli said about Leila when she hired him, and that's what Guy said about Charlotte when they met. Now they're both married!"

Unable to stop himself this time, Vance laughed. Stephanie scowled and immediately shoved him away. He caught her hand before she could storm off, though. He was still chuckling when he pulled her back to him. Even though she was glaring at him, he kissed her anyway.

"Are you actually worried about me getting snatched away by this woman?" He laughed and kissed her again, even though she was trying to push him away. His lips rested right against her ear as he held her. "I have been trying to convince you to marry me for the past five years. I haven't given up yet, so why would you think this client would change that?"

Red crept into Stephanie's cheeks. "This stupid date shark business, there's something about it. It's cursed or something."

Vance laughed before he could stop himself, making Stephanie even more angry with him. "Cursed?" he laughed. "Eli and Guy end up married, happily married, and you think it's cursed? Most people would be saying the opposite."