5 - The Thoughts of One Hitoshi Shinso

'Of all the things U.A. could put in their entrance exams, of course it had to be robots.' Thought one Hitoshi Shinso as he ran across the pavement in examination site D.

'I mean sure, as future heroes they have to be prepared against anything. Especially for a scenario like this where one's quirk is rendered useless.' But still, why now? Why him? He's not even a hero in training yet. How unlucky could he get for the test to be tailored to put him in a disadvantage.

'But I can't give up. Not now, not when I've gotten this far.' Shinso thought with gritted teeth. He definitely didn't think this was how his life was gonna turn out. When he first got his quirk, he was excited because it sounded powerful. But that excitement quickly turned to shock when all the kids around him started shunning him and calling him a villain.

Little 5 year old Toshi was confused.

Why were they being so mean?

Why did they call him a villain?

It didn't take him long to understand. They called him a villain because of his quirk. They were afraid of what he could do to them that they just started fearing him. That was the day that he learned a cruel fact of life, that not all men are created equal. That life just isn't fair.

And so he endured, he endured because deep down he has a dream. One that he has never told anyone before, not even his parents.

Hitoshi Shinso wants to be a hero. He wants to prove to the world that a quirk doesn't define the person. To prove that even a person who had a 'villainous' quirk like him could become a hero.

And yet still the jeers came. Every single day without break he would hear people calling him names, calling him a villain. He kept hearing it so much that he even started believing it himself.

That was until that fateful day.

It was one of those days that the jeers got a little too much that he had to hide from everyone. It was during lunch that he escaped to the rooftop to get solace in being by himself. He remembered stiffening out of fear when he heard the door to the rooftop open. 'Are they still here? Is the rooftop not safe anymore?'

To his surprise it was just one guy rather than the crowd he was expecting. He had brownish red hair and golden yellow eyes. They just stared at each other awkwardly. The other boy didn't look like he was going to say anything so Shinso just nodded at him. He nodded back and left to eat his lunch.

It was the next day that the boy introduced himself. After that day, they became friends. They hung out with each other every lunch and always ate on the rooftop. It became their sanctuary. Of course it didn't take long for the school to find out that one of the cool kids is friends with the resident outcast. That's when the rumors started that he had brainwashed Kazuya to become his friend. Which was honestly pretty dumb. Brainwash ouldn't take control of people that fluidly. They only respond to the basics of commands and can't do anything that requires thinking (yet).

But even so, when Shinso confronted Kazuya about it and told him about his quirk, he fully expected him to get angry or something along those lines. But to his disbelief, Kazuya actually told him his quirk was amazing. He told him all these ways his quirk could be used to help people. He told him that he could become a hero.

Shinso won't lie and say that he definitely shed some tears that day. That was the first time in his life that someone acknowledged that silly dream of his. A dream that he thought was nothing more than a child's fantasy.

That was when he realized that the rumors, the words, and the names the other kids called him meant nothing. Because that's all they were, just empty words.