Chapter Seven: NIKOLAI

Crouched behind a thicket, I stare at the palace gates with sharp eyes. It's almost time. The sun is just several minutes away from being overhead, and my target will be in the palace's front gardens at any moment.

I stand and make to dart to a cluster of rose bushes opposite me, closer to the gates for a better vantage point. As I make to stand, however, something hard and fast steals the wind from my chest, and I stumble back in shock. 

For several moments, I stand in silence – and then it comes again. And again. And again.

Waves of pleasure. I can feel them shooting down the bond in agonising rushes. Naomi is inside the palace, and she's getting... the king is...

My vision darkens, and an animalistic growl rips from my chest. Fury, black and raging, rushes into my veins like poison and sets every inch of me in fire. Before I know it, I'm trembling; white and shaking as the waves of her pleasure rushes at me like searing thorns.

I'm going to kill the bastard, a voice inside my head growls. I take a step towards the gates without even realizing it, and then another, so blinded by rage. My breathing comes rapid and shallow, everything in my peripheral blurred by the force of my fury. I'm going to fucking kill him and take his fucking head!

I stand in full view of the gates, frozen, picturing how I'm going to kill every damn guard and rip my way into her quarters. How I'm going to kill the king by ripping his head clean off his shoulders. To show her I am the more powerful male.

Because she's not his to take. She's mine.

And that line of thinking is so insane that it actually knocks some sense into me. Get a fucking grip, Nikolai, the small rational voice in my mind commands. It's barely audible above the voice of the raging beast who begs for death, but I hear it. I try to listen. Even so, my feet remain firmly planted and my body remains primed with the need to kill. I grit my teeth. If I can't get myself under control within the next couple of seconds, a guard's going to see me standing in plain sight and all my plans will be ruined.

I manage only one step away before the force of her climax hits me, the sheer pain of it sending me to my knees. I'm shaking. With rage. With fury. With hurt. I burn with every bad emotion known to man as she goes through the throes of her ecstasy. I am plagued with violent thoughts concerning the king's grisly demise, spinning through my mind in flashes, taunting me, killing me. The beast within me howls in agony, pained by the fact that his mate is being fucked by some pampered prick.

Vision dappling with black dots, I do the only thing that can possibly prevent me from running in there like a maniac and killing everyone in sight. I throw myself into a nearby rosebush. The thorns cut and slice into my skin with a sobering pain, trapping me there like a helpless animal.

I remain there for several more seconds until, finally, the feelings subside, and my mind returns to its normal state. I squeeze my eyes shut, trying to sift through my thoughts, feeling terribly unnerved by the control I almost lost.