Chapter Seventeen: NIKOLAI

I've not at all been acting like myself recently.

I'm not sure why. I mean, there is no rational reason for the way I'm acting, but when I'm near her, it's like a switch flips and I can't help it: I have to tease her. She brings out some cheeky, devilish side of me that I never knew I possessed, and if my teasing counts as "flirting", as she so called it, then fine, so be it. I'm a flirt. The biggest fucking flirt there is.

Because, hell, I love flirting with her. It gets my blood pumping and heart racing in ways I have never known.

Which is totally fucked, for the very same reason that her holding a knife to my throat was completely valid. I am her blood-sworn enemy. I have kidnapped her sister in order to propel myself towards my goal, and my refusal to give her back only seals us as enemies into stone.

Even though... I really do want to give Althea back. I just can't.

If I gave her back now, I'd be disobeying the High Witch's orders. I'd be breaking my vow and she would refuse to return Zachary to me as a result, and I cannot allow that to happen. I may as well be killing Zachary myself if I do that.

But Zachary's potential demise is not the only reason for my refusal. If I betray the High Witch, I will be breaking another promise I made, one that was made way before Zach even died, and if I break that one then the High Witch will–

A violent shudder rolls through my body, and I quickly shake my head. No. I don't even want to think that thought in existence, because it is so fucking terrible that it petrifies even me.

No, Althea must stay right where she is for now, and Naomi must find that elemental heart. Hell, I'll help her find that heart; carve it out of the other elemental myself and put it in her hands if I have to.

Maybe, then, I'll earn her forgiveness.

I slow to a stop. Wait... 'earn her forgiveness'? Since when have I ever wanted anyone's forgiveness?

I swallow thickly as I walk through the crowd, standing several inches above the shifting sea of bodies. I have gone well and truly mad, and it's all because of her.

Plus, why would I need her forgiveness? She's my enemy, and we're supposed to be working against each other, and– oh, to hell with it all! I do want her forgiveness. Very badly so. But how on earth can I do that when I've already committed the sin, and returning her sister to her is basically impossible?

It's at that moment that a splash of bright colors flash in my vision, and my eyes swivel to focus on the flower stall off to my right.

A sly grin spreads over my face. Okay, maybe I cannot get all of her forgiveness, but maybe I can soften the burning hatred she holds towards me. Just a little.