Chapter Nineteen: NAOMI

(A/N): just wanted to let everyone know that I have changed the timeframe for Naomi to fulfil the Witch Queen's request from two months to three months! Idk why I originally put two months, it was meant to be three, but I just thought I should let...

(A/N): just wanted to let everyone know that I have changed the timeframe for Naomi to fulfil the Witch Queen's request from two months to three months! Idk why I originally put two months, it was meant to be three, but I just thought I should let everyone know <<3

*******

The sun has sunk far below the horizon by the time I finally make it back to Nikolai's doorstep.

I don't bother to knock. I guess a part of me hopes that he's fast asleep, and the last thing I'd want now is to wake him. So, I quietly twist the knob and allow myself inside.

But he's not asleep. Of course he's not. Instead he's on the couch, sitting upright in a rigid position, and when his eyes land on me he jumps to his feet.

I stare at him from the doorway. He stares back at me, silver eyes widening before they soften. He takes a tentative step forward. "Naomi—"

"It's fine, Nikolai," I say, avoiding his gaze as I shut the door behind me. I keep my movements casual and calm as I saunter over to the kitchenette and rummage through a drawer. The actual mug drawer, this time. "I understand. There's no need to apologize."

"No, I—"

I turn back to him, clutching a brown mug to my chest as he stands with his mouth half open. He then shuts it and shakes his head.

"I shouldn't have lashed out like that. It was terribly rude. I'm sorry."

"It's fine," I assure him, checking the brass pot. It's nearly filled to the brim, so I set it over the cooking stove and light the coals underneath with my fire. "I don't hold it against you."

A thick silence draws between us. I stand still as the flame roars, and the water begins to heat.

"It wasn't fair of me to project my own feelings onto you." I sense him stand and walk over to me. I keep my back to him and try to keep my posture as loose as possible, even though my heart rate is ticking into overdrive. "I don't know you and Althea's relationship, and it was wrong of me to make assumptions."

He settles against the counter next to me. I take in a breath and twist towards him, although I can't quite meet his gaze. "Nik..."

He grabs my wrist, and in shock my eyes twitch up to his face. I'm quickly snared by his silver gaze.

"I just want you to know I truly am sorry." He raises my hand and presses a gentle kiss to my palm, and several things happen to my body at that moment. The first thing I register is the soft heat of his lips, and the unholy sensations it inflicts down south. Then I feel the bond inside my chest, pushing and squeezing with elation at his touch. Then, I sense my knees buckle, and then turn to water as he shoots me a soft smile. "I acted abhorrently."

I raise a brow at him and gently pry my hand from his, taking a steadying breath. "How long do you plan to grovel for?"

His grin is slow, seductive. My core shudders in anticipation. "However long it takes."