Chapter Eleven: NAOMI

It's a long walk back to the palace

It's a long walk back to the palace. Silver eyes and a smug smile taunt me the whole way, and by the time I finally reach the front gates my entire body is shaking with rage.

I can't believe it. I can't believe I failed to kill him. He'd offered himself up to me – his heart had been inches under my fingertips – and yet I couldn't bring myself to rip it out. I wanted to, I wanted to so badly and yet I just... couldn't.

I hang my head in shame. I've failed my sister. I've failed Kohl. But, mostly, I've failed myself.

I approach the palace. Two guards pull a lever, and the iron-wrought gates swing open, the black snake of the Gahndor sigil taunting me as I stalk past.

I enter the front gardens with stiff movements. Everything around me feels fuzzy. Wrong.

"Naomi?" I glance over my shoulder to see Macy standing up from one of the white-painted benches. She stares at me with those large, dark eyes of hers. "Where did you go? Are you alright?"

I open my mouth to tell her that I'm fine only for a thin, strained sound to leave my lips. My chin wobbles, my body begins to tremble, and before I know it hot tears are craving their way down my face.

Macy doesn't question me. She rushes over and folds me into her arms, forcing my head against her shoulder as I weep.

I don't care that the guards are watching; I cry until my stomach hurts.

***

Back in my chambers, I sit numbly on my bed as Macy and Kairi fuss over me, dabbing my skin with wet cloths and forcing fruit juice down my throat. They ask me where I went and why I came back in tears, and eventually I tell them I was 'searching for my sister'. They stop probing after that.

My hand rests on the swollen bump on my stomach, and I can't help but notice the way Macy and Kairi's eyes dart to it as they go about their activities. I see them share some loaded looks before Macy dinally asks, "So, have you decided on a name yet?"

I smile, rubbing a small circle over the bump. It's comforting, in a strange way. Yeah, maybe my relationship with my husband is on the rocks, and the conflicting emotions I have towards my mate tortures me relentlessly, but at least I have this baby. It's got to count for something. "I'm not sure. I haven't really thought about it."

"How about Colt?" Kairi suggests, her tone overly eager despite her indifferent exterior. "You know, since the king's name is Kohl..."

My chest tightens at the thought of Kohl, but I quickly shake myself of the feeling as I reply, "I mean, if it's a boy, then maybe."

"How about Rose? I like the name Rose," Macy says, then pauses. "If it's a girl, of course."

"Speaking of which," Kairi interjects, "would you rather it be a boy or a girl, Naomi?"

I smile at nothing in particular. "I don't really mind. I'm just grateful to be with child. I genuinely believed I was barren up until now, and I think news of my suspected infertility was beginning to spread. At least this will stop the rumors." I frown. "Speaking of which, do you know if news of my pregnancy has spread?"