[18+] Chapter Twenty-Three: NAOMI

It's been four days since I last saw Nikolai

It's been four days since I last saw Nikolai. Four fucking days.

And it's starting to hurt like hell.

Laying on the couch, I stare longingly at the front door for the umpteenth time, waiting for him to come charging through. But he doesn't. The door remains shut, and only the sounds of the distant market can be heard penetrating the wood.

I sigh forlornly and twist onto my back. It feels like there's this gnawing pit in my stomach, one that's been eating me alive ever since he left, and it's killing me.

I know it's the mate bond. I know it's totally irrational and stupid and something completely out of my control, but that doesn't make it hurt any less. That doesn't make me yearn for him any less.

At that moment, the rattle of the doorknob sounds, and the very man who has been haunting me dreams these past three nights steps inside.

My head snaps up. For a moment, I do not even recognise him. His white hair is mussed, and his face is lined with so much tension to the point where he looks older.

His gaze locks mine, and any restraint I have shatters. I'm hurtle towards him before I know it, and I'm not even sure what I'm doing until my arms fling around him, and I nearly send us both careening into the porch.

He catches me effortlessly, snapping his arms around and clutching me to his body. My chest swells at the contact, and I sigh at how good it feels. To be back in his arms again.

"Well, I was certainly not expecting this welcome," he murmurs, pressing a tender kiss to my hair. I shift my head to look up at him, my eyes burning for a moment before my vision blurs. Am I... crying?

"I missed you," I choke out. "I missed you so much, Nikolai—"

A strangled noise cuts me off, and my lips tremble shut. Nikolai stares at me, and I realize I just called him by his full name again. After he'd already told me not to. I open my mouth to apologize when he kisses my forehead and pushes my face back against his chest.

"I missed you too, Naomi." He buries his face into my hair. "I missed you too."

For several moments, we just stand there in belated silence, bathing in each other's company. Then, sensing Nikolai needs to sit down, I tug on his arm and guide him towards the sofa. My body falls against his the moment we sink into the pillow, and he doesn't even hesitate to put an arm around me.

I suddenly feel like crying again. God, I missed him. I missed him a lot.

"I'm sorry Naomi, I didn't..." He shakes his head and covers his face with his other hand. He looks exhausted. "I didn't manage to convince the High Witch of anything. She still wants you to bring that heart."

I swallow thickly. "It's okay. You tried." I take his free hand and curl it in mine, forcing his eyes to me. "You tried, Nik, and that's all that matters to me. Thank you."