Chapter 3

I haven't traversed very far but I've made my way into a part of the forest that is so deeply green that it's hard to find a path that moves forward any further. A few stone structural ruins are covered in moss, causing blockages in how I can navigate beyond.

I see steps leading up to a small bowl of water, glow bugs drop by to get a drink.

I take a moment to see my own reflection. I have dark rings under my eyes from the non-stop crying and restless sleep.

I had stopped fighting Hael and Loch's enslavement months ago.

I was fighting myself now.

I walk down to a small bed of green moss and I sit down, looking up, I see the leaves rustle apart and show the night-sky. I lie down on my back and I just stare at the moon and the stars.

I was basically like a prized concubine. My mates ruled the sky, the land and all the peasants. I knew Hael and Lochness had the ability to bring thousands of mortals into line, to burn up armies of enemies, thwart Blood Ravens, mages and rival Hordes... my mates were fierce and feared all over.

With me they were tightly controlled, dealing with a red-haired Dragon Slayer who was mated to their Sky spirits. If I died; they would die. If they died; I'd die. It was a very strong bond of trust and loyalty.

However, my Slayer instincts made me naturally want to thwart them.

My mate instincts? I was barely in tune with that side of me.

I was usually at the hand of defeat.

Being overpowered and pleasured with torturous devices.

Dark fun and dark pleasures.

Constant fire from them onto me. But I was hard to crack.

"Madeline?"

Hael calls my name, as he crunches over the forest ground, moving closer.

My eyes are heavy, I'm exhausted after being in fight mode for 48 hours.

The moment they locked me away from my friends and the Horde with no way out, I went berserk. They tried to calm me with chains, sex, food, flying and now a breath of fresh air with them as my escorts.

The truth is I had barely slept. But now in the forest, with Hael approaching, I feel at peace enough that my guard lowers and I fall asleep in the moment, one hand on my pregnant belly and the other stretched above my head.

They wanted me to surrender the fight.

To be vulnerable.

To be a mother.

****

A short nap turns into a few hours of deep and desperately needed sleep. I wake up returned to the furs, alone I presume – but when I open my eyes and peer around, I see my mates are close by, just elsewhere.

Hael is in the grass, shifted into his enormous Dragon, snout facing me, green-emerald eyes peering over.

Lochness is in the pond, submerged as a man, his emerald eyes on the moon in the sky.

They're both waiting patiently.

Nessy, I reach out through the mind connection as I slowly sit up, why are you in the pond?

Bored, Lochness drawls back his answer, his eyes flickering to mine, waiting for you, rat.

Ahuh. Hael, I turn to his Dragon, looking at his green tail swish over the grass, I want to thank you for keeping peace in the Requiem Horde while I'm pregnant. I'm grateful to you, Hael. My number one.