Chapter 11

The realizations we fear.

Kenzlee~

I couldn't believe that I was here.

When Alex pulled up to a wooded clearing, I had images of axe murderers running through my head. These secluded wooded areas were the exact same places where that group of idiotic teens were murdered with their entrails pulled out through the holes in their necks because they'd been up to no good.

However, it wasn't until we walked a country mile that I saw the abandoned barn that was lit up like Christmas and the crowd of people everywhere.

It was crazy.

The walk made me grateful that I had worn sandals. Alex had opted for dressing for noticeability, but not me. I had worn just a plain white blouse, a dark blue skirt that fell loose at mid-thigh, and a pair of white sandals.

Alex had worn a dark red tank-top that showcased her girls to perfection, tight black jeans, and black ankle boots. Her hair was thrown back in a very sophisticated ponytail, and her makeup was flawless. It was a wonder that her parents had let her out of the house.

My hair was thrown back in a low ponytail, and my makeup was mascara with some tinted lip balm. I hadn't known what to expect, but I also hadn't wanted anyone asking me about my prices, either. Simple had been the better choice for me.

We squeezed our way through the barn doors, and sure enough, there was a ring in the center of the farm building. The place looked exactly like what you'd imagine an underground fighting ring to look like. The only crazy thing was the bar that was set up on the west side of the building. This was an actual money-making traveling event.

"Holy shit," I whispered.

"Right?" Alex said excitedly. "Isn't it awesome?"

I craned my neck to try to see everything, but it was so crowded that all I could make out was the ring itself, the bar, and through the sea of people, I could see a few tables and chairs scattered about.

The only other thing that I could see was the huge dry erase board with names and odds written on it. When I saw Talon's name, my stomach cramped, and I was reminded of how badly I didn't want to see him fight. I was with Edie on this one.

Alex grabbed my arm and dragged me through the crowd to get a better vantage point. All the while, she was yelling, "Talon always fights first! We need to get up closer, so that we don't miss his match!"

"Why does he always fight first?!" I yelled back, the noise inside deafening. I would have thought they'd save the best fight for last.

"I don't know!" she yelled back. "I think it's his preference!"

The second that we reached the edge of the crowd, a few people recognized us and made some room. One girl even gave us a thumbs up. I looked at Alex. "What's that for?" I asked, not needing to yell anymore.

"They must think that you're here for Talon," she said, giving me a cheeky grin. "After all, you are his girlfriend." I rolled my eyes but didn't refute her claim. I knew that, sooner or later, I was going to cave. It wasn't worth the effort to debate my Talon status anymore.

Alex was about to say more but, suddenly, music started pounding through the speakers, and the crowd noise skyrocketed to unreachable levels. The entire room was amped up and ready to go. I couldn't see anything, but I soon discovered that we were on the opposite side of where the fighters entered. It wasn't until I looked up into the ring that I saw Talon.

Holy Mary, Mother of God.

He was wearing a pair of loose basketball shorts with only the pads of his feet and fists taped up, which didn't make any sense to me. I thought fighters had to wear tight clothing, so that their opponents couldn't grab onto their clothes and anchor them.