Chapter 15: To Cast Me Off Discourteously

As the quartet gathered on the bridge, surrounded by the hushed notes of Greensleeves, Raven began to unravel the lore behind the haunting melody. The trio listened with rapt attention, captivated by the mystical history woven into the fabric of the centuries-old song.

"Greensleeves," Raven began, her voice carrying the weight of ages, "is a ballad that dates back to the 16th century. It tells the tale of unrequited love, heartbreak, and the yearning for a distant beloved. The lyrics describe a lady dressed in green sleeves, a symbol of unattainable beauty and a love that remains out of reach."

Craig, J.P., and Kelsey exchanged wide-eyed glances, absorbing the historical richness of the tale. Mortimor, perched on Raven's shoulder, listened intently as well.

"Legend has it that the song was penned by King Henry VIII himself," Raven continued. "It's a lament, a melody that transcends time, carrying the echoes of loves lost and the ache of unfulfilled desires."

Kelsey, with a mischievous grin, remarked, "Looks like the creek has a historian."

Mortimor, nodding in agreement, added his own cryptic caw, as if endorsing the notion that the Creek had a guardian who held the keys to its enigmatic past.

Craig, ever the seeker of knowledge, asked, "So, what does Greensleeves have to do with Roger and the Creek's melancholy?"

Raven's gaze lingered on Roger, who continued to hum the haunting melody with a distant look in his eyes. "The lore suggests that Greensleeves, with its mournful strains, can stir the deepest emotions and bring forth the echoes of one's own heartache. It's as if the song itself becomes a vessel for the sorrows of the soul."

The trio absorbed this revelation, realizing that Roger's humming was not just a melancholic tune but a reflection of the emotions that weighed heavily on his heart.

As they stood on the bridge, surrounded by the timeless melody and the shadows that clung to the Creek, Raven contemplated the path ahead. The lore of Greensleeves had intertwined with the threads of Roger's sorrow, and unlocking the secrets of the song held the key to awakening him from the eternal slumber of his own shadows.

The Creek, now a repository of history and mystery, awaited the trio's next move. In the heart of the enchanting tale, where past and present collided, Craig, J.P., Kelsey, and Raven found themselves on the brink of a journey that would unveil the hidden layers of the Creek's lore and set the stage for the resolution of a haunting melody that echoed through the ages.