Chapter Fourteen

There was a bright light, a light shining down in her face. The men in masks were everywhere, all around her, staring with wide eyes. A few of them held tools in their hands. One of them she recognized as the device which gave her her very first strike. Chloe tried to move, but she couldn't move anything. Not her head, arms, legs, neck, not even her fingers. She glanced as far down to her body as she could and gasped. Everything was strapped down tight, and she thought she had already known what it was like to be trapped and utterly useless.

One of the men in masks said, "Do we finally have a worthy test subject?" Then he approached Chloe and ran his fingers through her hair. She stared up at him, but she couldn't find the strength in her to speak. When was the last time she had eaten? She couldn't even begin to search through her memories to answer the question. Her stomach growled; apparently, it had been days. A woman approached the table she was on and looked down at her. Chloe knew her as she stepped into her field of vision, it was the lady from the hologram.

Questions ran through Chloe's head, but she still couldn't say anything. Why couldn't she say anything? There was nothing on her lips, at least, nothing that she could feel. It was something she just couldn't do. It was almost like she couldn't remember how to move her mouth to form the words. She needed to ask them something though; there was one question she needed answered. What was it? What was it? Chloe had been wondering for days on end and now that it was time to find out, she couldn't even remember her own question. How much stupider could she get?

She struggled against the straps, trying to break free. Her leg broke out of the leather and then she franticly kicked all around her as she tried to undo her other leg. Someone rushed forward and held her limb down as another tightened the strap back in its place. Even though Chloe knew there was no point, she knew she had to keep fighting. She had to break free and get away from these people. They were up to no good.

Chloe continued her struggles as the man and woman continued on with their conversation which turned into an argument, but Chloe was to intent on breaking free to hear what they were saying, even though they were practically yelling. "They'll love her," The lady said and then Chloe stopped as she tried to hear the rest of their words. Her breathing was still loud, so she couldn't hear what the man had said.

"I think this is the one," The woman said; then she took his hand in hers and smiled down at Chloe. Her eyes a wildfire and her lips an ocean of grace. Chloe hadn't realized how pretty she was until now; she was super model flawless. And yet here she was, complimenting Chloe on her looks. "I think she's perfect."