Chapter Fifty Six

Chloe peeked through her eye lids an tried to roll over, but she couldn't, something was wrapped around her, someone was lying next to her. She tilted her head and found Jacob lying next to her, his arm holding her close, and his chest bare. When had he come into her room? She couldn't remember anything that had happened. Chloe was still groggy from her restless dream, her memory.

Jacob shuffled around, so Chloe closed her eyes and kept her breath steady, just like she had in the dream. His other arm reached over and caressed her hip, she let out a small gasp, and he whispered, "I'm sorry for everything. I know I've already said it a million times, but I feel like it will never be enough."

Chloe opened her eyes and looked into his. She wanted him to elaborate, to explain what he was talking about, but she knew it wasn't smart to let him think she didn't know, even though it was the truth. Chloe couldn't remember anything from the night before, a block placed in her mind. "It's fine," She lied, hoping he would believe her. His hug ensured her that he did, but she wasn't even sure herself if it was actually fine. What could he have possibly done that was so bad?

Margaret opened the door and then turned her head quickly as soon as she saw the two of them on the bed. "I'm sorry for interrupting," Margaret said, shielding her eyes with the back of her hand. "But we have a problem."

"What is it?" Chloe asked.

"Collin's missing."

Jacob jumped out of the bed and put his shirt back on, for the first time, Chloe realized he hadn't been wearing any pants either. What have she done was all that kept running through her mind. Then Margaret led them down the hall and into Jacob's room, everything was as it should've been, except the crib was empty and there wasn't any crying.

"Where could he have gone?" Chloe asked, looking around the room, under the bed, checking the closet for any signs of him. "He couldn't have just walked away." Realization hit her like a subway train. Collin couldn't have walked away; someone took him.