Chapter Seventy Nine

A thump hit the floor above their heads again and again and again. "We need to hurry," Margaret shouted which made Collin cries even louder. Chloe calmed him down without putting forth much effort; a funny face could entertain a baby any day. even in a dire situation.

"There must be something," David said, looking around the almost empty room again. "Anything we could use to break through.."

Chloe looked back to the clock. Tick tock. "The clock."

"We've already been through this, Chloe," Jacob said, searching the room with David for anything. They checked the floor for any hidden spots, but it was cement and wouldn't be come up. The walls didn't have any cracks in them either.

"The clock," Chloe said again, and then Margaret repeated her.

"Will you two stop for a minute and think things through?" Jacob demanded with ruffled hair that got messier after running his hand over the top of his head. He was growing impatient and annoyed by their arrogance.

"The clock," Chloe said for the final time. "There's no key inside. It is the key."  

David and Jacob both turned to it at the same time and reached over to lift it. Three inches up and then it was dropped back down. Jacob backed away and shook his head. "I don't think I can lift it. Not with my arm in this condition." Another thud hit the floor overhead and then a bucket full of dust rained down from the ceiling.

"How long do you think this ceiling will hold?" Margaret asked.

"Not long enough," David answered. "Chloe, can you help me with this?"

"I can," Margaret said, rolling up her sleeves.

"Are you sure you're up for this task?"

"I'm sure." She joined him on his conquest, lifting the clock up, and carrying it over to the door. They held onto the heavy object tightly, muscles straining to keep themselves from dropping it.

"We'll swing it back and forth, then strike the door on three, okay?" David suggested; Margaret nodded. Jacob stood at the end of the clock and held the tip of it, helping aim and giving it an extra shove. "One." They swung. "Two." Another round. "Three!" They hit the door. It fell into the hallway, flat on the ground with a bang. Another thud hit the ceiling, more dust layered on top of their skin.

Chloe entered the hallway first, running across the floor, checking each room's window as she passed. Guards lined each side of the room, staring at her as she made her way. Each had a gun strapped to their waist; in an instant she could've been shot down, but they didn't pull out their weapons or even flinch at the sight of her. All of them completely immobile, watching her every move behind their black masks.

Jacob, Margaret, and David chased after Chloe and Collin. Collin had decided to throw another fit, and none of them could blame him. They wanted to take a break and cry to, but there wasn't enough time to waste on such a stupid and silly thing. The four of them were grown now and more adult like behavior was expected from them. Three more windows on each side and then the door, the exit. It was so close, Chloe could almost almost taste the sweet, fresh, outside.

Chloe craned her neck at each glass structure and peered inside the rooms, guards and guards on either side still. A countless number of them staring back, awaiting a command. Chloe reached the door and then turned her head and gasped at what was in the last room on the left. Melanie's body lying still on a table. Her hair freshly trimmed and blush placed gingerly on her cheeks.

Jacob came to a halt, almost knocking Chloe from her feet and then looked at what she was. "Come on," He said, grabbing her arm and pulling her to the door. She pulled back.

"I can't." Chloe stared at Melanie through the glass. She didn't move, statue like and stoic was the best way to describe her. "Not without Melanie. Will you carry her?"

"I can't."

"But I can," David said; he backed up and rammed the glass hard with his shoulder. It cracked all around, but it didn't fall out, so he tried again. One more hit and the glass shattered into a million pieces in front of them. Chloe covered Collin's face with her arms and turned her back to shield him from the danger. David hopped into the next room over, carefully walking across the sharp shards that could surely cut through his poorly crafted shoes. Once he reached the table, he picked up Melanie's body and cradled her like a toddler before stepping over the half height wall and joining his friends in the hallway again. "She's still breathing." He nodded to Chloe; she nodded back.

Footsteps thundered through the strange silence in the hallway; they all looked back. Three guards entered the hallway with their guns raised, taking aim at each of the four walking beings. One wrong move and they were goners, but they weren't done yet.

One of the guards pulled his trigger, his gun pointed at Chloe, but Jacob stepped in between and took the blow to his arm. He staggered backward, and then David placed Melanie's body on the ground and broke the glass on the other side of him. All guns aimed at him and shot, but he was already in the other room safe from the firing. Chloe cringed at the thought of bullets flying at her, none of them even came close to hitting her. Chloe watched him take three guns from the guards in the side room; they stood motionless. He tossed one to Margaret and one to Jacob who was using the wall as support. David popped his head into the hall and pulled back out, dodging three bullets aimed at his head.

The first shot fired from their side came from Margaret's gun; she hit one of them in the chest and he fell to the floor in the blink of an eye. All guns aimed at her and prepared to fire, but Jacob shot a round off from the ground up faster than they could've said molasses. None of them saw it coming, none of them. They were too focused on Margaret to notice what Jacob had been doing. How could they have missed him bending over, grabbing a gun, aiming it, and then shooting at them? They seemed completely oblivious to his existence after Margaret had fired her shot.