Chapter Forty

"Chloe," The woman said, shaking her shoulder violently. "Chloe, wake up."

    Chloe opened her eyes and then looked as far as she could. Her head wouldn't budge, nothing would. Her arms, her legs, her chest, all bound to the table beneath her. The woman standing just out of sight, her voice all too familiar for comfort. "What do you want with me now?"

    The woman laughed off Chloe's comment and then said, "We need to ask you a few questions before prepping you. Is this alright?"

    "Do I really have a choice?" She asked, trying to pull her arm up again, but the restraints were stronger than ever. This wasn't her first time in this room, and Chloe had a feeling it wouldn't be the last.

    "What are your family assignment's names?"

    Chloe answered through clenched teeth, "Margaret, David, Jacob, and Rachel," A small shock rattled her and stopped her breath for a second too long. "I meant Melanie, I meant Melanie." She inhaled and then exhaled, breathed through the pain.

    "I'm sure you did," The woman replied before stepping forward; Chloe looked to her and then stuck her tongue out. She thought it would give the woman a taste of her anger, but soon after realized it was only a childish poorly thought out decision. "Who will you answer to without question?"

    "Him," Chloe answered and then another shock was sent through her. A pain worse than the last. "The man who whispers in my ear." She cried out.

    "What do you remember about your past?"

    "Nothing," She answered and then waited for the next shock to hit her. It was only a matter of time; the woman was only toying with her. Holograms were meant to stay holograms, but this one seemed to appreciate her human form more than her fake one.

    "I thought you would've learned by now not to lie to me," The woman responded before clicking the button on the small panel in her hand. Chloe's body jolted up but fell back quickly due to the lack of slack on the leather restraints binding her to the steel table.

    A few more waves of electricity fluttered through her skin and bones, shaking Chloe constantly until she lost consciousness.