Chapter 03

03| negotiations

"Dot," Clary breathes out, her face stricken in fear as she held on to her necklace, "Dot!"

Before any of us can ask what was happening, Clary ran off to an alley that leads up to the Pandemonium.

"Clary!" Jace called, picking up his speed to catch up to the redhead, "Clary, stop! Where are you going?"

"Two men, Circle members - the same ones who came to my house, who took my mom." Clary explains, her voice shaking, looking at us in fear, "They have Dot. They're gonna hurt her o-or kill her. We have to stop them!"

"What the hell," I muttered, pulling out my shotgun as we all rushed after her inside.

My fingers latched tightly around the trigger, our footsteps slowing down, keeping an eye out to any possible intruders as we walked inside, only to find the Pandemonium completely abandoned.

"No," Clary said, "She was just trying to help me. Now, she's gone."

I lowered my gun, sympathy and worry pouring over me as I look into her tear-stricken face, walking over her and Simon, who was holding her shoulders in support.

"Clary, I'm sorry." I told her, but she only shook her head.

"You don't understand," She says, her voice slightly raising in frustration, "Dot's like my big sister."

Alec steps up, "It's not safe here. We have to go back to the Institute right now."

Clary opened her mouth to protest but I quickly cut-in, shooting her an apologetic smile before speaking, "Alec is right. If you say that Dot's been taken by the Circle members, there is a high chance some of them are still wandering around here."

She looked at me in disbelief, "So, what now? Valentine has my mom and Dot, and we're just gonna give up?"

"Clary," I frowned, guilt crossing my features, stepping in front of her as I try to contain her "That's not what I meant -"

"What about my memories? They can't just be gone?"

Jace tilted his head, "There is another option." He says carefully, chuckling as Alec, Isabelle and I quickly pointed a finger at him to shoot his idea down.

"I'm not afraid of the Silent Brothers." He said smugly, before turning to Clary who looked equally confused as Simon.

"Who are the Silent Brothers?" She asked.

"They're Shadowhunters with superior powers." Jace started.

"Who possess the ability to recover memories." Isabelle continued.

Alec narrowed his eyes, shrugging non-chalantly, adding, "A process that can also kill you, so there's that."

Simon turned to me, "Your husband's bedside manner is abysmal." He commented, making me grimace as I threw Alec a glance.

"He's just being -" I paused, clicking my tongue as I racked my mind of the proper word, "Being realistic. Clary could really get killed."

"We've broken at least 18 Clave rules and now you want to go to the City of Bones?" Alec says, a hard look on his face as he stared at Jace, "There's no way. I won't allow it."

"This isn't our choice to make," Jace cuts in, "This is Clary's decision."

"You can't ask her to do this." Isabelle shook her head firmly, "She doesn't know what she's facing. She's not prepared."