Chapter 07

07| alpha

I left Seoul even before the dawn could break.

I haven't slept, my restless thoughts kept me wide awake and up all night, but it made it a lot more easier to sneak out of Seoul Institute without risking a run in with my mother and Alistair. There were surely be questions - ones that I don't even want to answer, nor do I have an answer for.

A heavy sigh escaped my lips as I glanced up at the New York Institute. The dread lingered in my stomach, a faint frown etched on my face. I ran my fingers through my hair as I stepped inside the Ops Center.

"Amaris." Alec breathed out, when I caught his gaze when I stepped inside the training room. Relief flooded his expression as he met me halfway. He gently grabbed me by my arm, his brows furrowing, "You left."

"Yes, I -" I trailed off, slightly distracted to the figure trailing behind him, my eyes widening in surprise as I realized who it was.

"Maryse," I called, pushing past Alec. Maryse strained a smile, like it hurt for her to do so, but she pulled me in for a hug, "Welcome back. We didn't expect you."

I heard someone snorted, my brows furrowing as I met Jace's eyes.

"Yes," Maryse nodded, ignoring Jace but her eyes shone with the same amusement as Jace's, "Your husband said the same thing earlier."

I opened my mouth to reply but she cut me off, "I've given you assignments. You, Jace and Isabelle will pay Melrion a visit while Alec -" Alec tensed as Maryse threw a pointed look at him, "Will stay here with Clary. I want her under control. She's caused enough trouble already."

"Maybe that's because I wasn't even a Shadowhunter until a few days ago." Clary frowned.

"And what an exciting few days it has been," Maryse sighed, and gave us all a stern look, "The Clave counts on us Lightwoods to maintain order here."

Alec nodded, "You don't need to tell me that. If the mission is important to the Clave, I would prefer to be the one who goes with Isabelle."

"You're all so eager to do what you would prefer," Maryse shook her head, chuckling humorlessly, "It's time to face the truth. Life is not about what you want to do, it's about what must be done. I have given you your assignments, now carry them out." She then pointed to Jace, Isabelle and I, "The three of you, with me, now."

I pursed my lips, daring to meet Alec's eyes, before I followed Maryse out, with Jace and Isabelle behind me.

-

Another sigh escaped my lips, wincing when I felt a slight throbbing pain in my temple.

"That's a sixth one now." Alec suddenly spoke from behind me. I met his eyes through the full length mirror in our bedroom, my brows raising in question.

"I'm sorry?"

"You've been sighing, a lot." He said simply and focused back on tying his shoe laces.

"Are you counting how many times I breath out now?" I teased, trying to lift up the tension that's surrounding us. This was the first time we've been left alone together - after the commotion at Magnus' lair. So many words and questions left unsaid, but none of us dared to break it off first.

Another silence draped us, and I could hear my heart pounding louder each seconds that tick by. I raised my hand, reaching out for my back to zip up a black casual midi dress I opted for when Alec appeared behind me.