Chapter 04

04| monsters

"I still don't understand," Clary started as we all walked back inside the Institute, Alec and I trailing behind them, "How can Shadowhunters be better than what you people call mundanes?"

"Because we protect humans." Isabelle sighed, stopping beside Clary.

"You're right," The ginger scoffed, and turned to face us, "Humans. You protect humans. You left Simon all alone in the van. Great job, guys. You rock."

I winced, guilt washing over me as I ran my fingers through my hair. Alec pinched the bridge of his nose, not bothering to hide his irritation anymore as he stared down at Clary, "There is some truth to the idea that human beings should have a modicum of common sense."

"Alec," Isabelle snapped, and glared at him, "Not now."

"Calm down." I whispered. He pressed his lips together before heaving out a deep breath, his hands tucked on his jean's pockets. I gently squeezed his arm before turning to Clary.

"No one wanted this to happen, Clary." I calmly reasoned, tucking a stray strand of hair behind my ear as I stepped between her and my husband who looked like seconds away from kicking out the ginger head in front of us, "You know that, right?" I asked.

Clary huffed, "Simon is kidnapped! Why are you so calm about this?"

"Panicking won't solve anything," I said, matching her glare with my own, "It won't bring Simon back."

"Look, they won't do anything to Simon." Jace started, slowly breaking the tension in the air, " They just wanted to draw you out. They want the Cup, and they think you have it."

"But why do they think that?" Clary asked, throwing her hands up at us in frustration, "Why does anyone think that? What, my mom lies to me my entire life except, 'Oh by the way, there's this magic cup, I hid on, like, the Planet Bongo, but don't tell anyone'", She sighed, her eyes brimming with tears, "What am I supposed to do now?"

"We have to report to the Clave." Alec said and started to walk down the hall, "They have to know we've learned about Valentine."

"What, that he's my father?" Clary cuts in, "Great. Fine. Tell them. What good does that do Simon?"

"Clary, it's all connected. The vamps want the Cup." Jace explained.

"Why? It makes new Shadowhunters."

Alec rolled his eyes, shaking his head and gave me a look, not having any spare energy left to rationalize with her, "Nobody wants Valentine forming an army loyal to himself." I explained to her.

"Plus, it controls demons." Isabelly added beside me.

"They'll propose a trade. Simon for the Cup." Jace said briefly.

"So, vampires will trade Simon for the Cup and Valentine will trade my mother for the Cup." Clary breathed out, and leaned against the wall as the realization of current situation slowly dawned on her, "Either way, I lose someone I love. What if I just toss it up in the air and let them fight it out among themselves?"

"So this doesn't matter to you?" Alec snapped.

"Yes, of course, it matters!" Clary fought, but held back when she met my stare. She sighed, and turned to Jace, " Listen, when you saved my life... I put my trust in you. Now, I need you to put your trust in me. I can't turn into what you are overnight."

Isabelle nodded, "It's true. She was raised as a mundane."

"What are you, her spokesman now?" Alec gave his sister a flat look as he leaned on to the wall beside me.