Chapter 09

09| darling

We kissed.

I groaned, stomping my feet in the process. My face warmed as I slowly recalled the heated moment earlier at Magnus' lair.

Alec and I kissed. Or was it a make out? My fingers absentmindedly traced my lower lip, remembering how he gently bit it down. A shiver travel up on my spine.

"What did get yourself into, Amaris?" I scolded myself quietly, my eyes glued to the ground as I walked around aimlessly.

Alec and I was interrupted earlier when Maryse had called him, taking that as my chance to quickly escape without any excuse. I've been outside for almost half an hour, stomping in embarrassment like a child every time the kiss crosses my mind.

I was so confused.

But at the same I felt relieved - calm, even, when our lips met. It was like something had sparked inside of me.

I grimaced at the thought. Great. Now, I'm talking about sparks.

I stopped, closing my eyes for a moment and turned my head upwards, facing the sky, and tried to recollect my thoughts when I heard a loud crack. My eyes immediately snapped open, wide and alert as I scan the surrounding. I was in a quiet street, with towering buildings and apartments looming on each side. Dead leaves scattered on the ground.

My brows furrowed as I carefully took my gun and aimed it in front of me as another cracking sound erupted across a dark and abandoned alley. I tightened my grip around my gun, trying to catch any more sound or movements around when a body fell in front of me.

"Behind you!"

I gasped, whirling around to see two vampires speeding towards me. I gritted my teeth, quickly pushing the trigger and aimed my gun straight at him, hitting him right at the center of his forehead. I turned to my side, hitting the other one in the jaw

Azriel suddenly appeared beside me, his eyes dark, his face a mixture of annoyance and irritation as he stared at me. His perfect hair was disheveled, his beige suit and white undershirt crumpled and had a few blood stains on it.

"What happened to you?" I frowned.

"Now's not the time," He snapped, quickly pulling me with him as we rounded another corner and inside a building, "Unless you want to be a dinner in a few minutes."

"Wait -" I tried to stop him when a collective hiss was heard. We both looked behind, a group of blood thirsty vampires running on our trail. I halted, quickly firing the ones who almost got too close, Azriel sped up to others, efficiently breaking their necks - the loud, continuous cracks filling my ears before he stabbed them with a dagger I didn't notice he was holding.

"Fuck." Azriel huffed, before turning to me, "Move. Quickly." He said, pushing me in front of him as we ran, the more vampires run behind out trail.

A scream escaped my lips when I suddenly felt myself being thrown off from the ground and into wall. I groaned, my head pounding, my eyes widening in panic as a vampire quickly straddled me in place. His hand circled around my throat, squeezing my breath out of me as I stretched out my arms, reaching for my gun. Using all the strength I have left, I lifted my gun, quickly pressing it on his throat before firing it. I quickly scrambled to my feet, gasping for air and noticing Azriel struggling as he hold off three more vampires. Blood seeped through his clothes.

I steadied my breath, and quickly fired my gun at the other two. Azriel finished the other one by snapping it's neck, and stabbed him before completely turning into ash. Azriel slumped on the ground, his face pale and his body looking like he may collapse any second now.