Chapter 00

00| the kwons

"Why are you here?"

My eyes automatically shut when I heard that voice behind me. I inhaled a deep breath, my fingers curling and uncurling against my gloved palms, before plastering a fake smile and turned around to face someone I was really dreading not to see now.

"Mom," I greeted, my cheeks hurting already, "Fancy seeing you here."

Her perfectly shaped eyebrow raised, and I tried my best to not squirm under her steely gaze. She was in her usual elegant self, her dark brown hair tied up in a perfect bun, a black short-sleeved infinity jumpsuit and a black stilleto heels on her feet - a complete contrast to how I look - or basically how I normally dress, a black open back long-sleeved square neck shirt tucked in a black high-waisted ripped jeans, and a black platform heeled boots on my feet.

My black hair was long and wavy, covering the bare parts of my back, my pale skin visible along with some of my runes that are peaking through in the exposed parts. My mother stared at me, and even without words, I could feel her disappointment, burning right into my skin and bones.

"What are you doing here, Amaris?" She asked again.

I poked my cheek with my tongue as she pushed past me and continued to walk towards the Ops center of the Seoul Institute, "You are supposed to be in New York. With your husband."

"I know," I breathed out and followed closely behind her. I couldn't help but inwardly cringe, my fingers absentmindedly twirled the wedding band resting on my ring finger, "But I don't really have to be glued to his side 24/7." I added, just for the sake of pissing her off more.

"You are a leader, Amaris. Act like one."

"What do you think I'm doing?" I hissed, feeling my frustration spiking up.

She quickly threw a glare back at me, silently warning me about my actions or what would I say next. I balled my fist, but kept my mouth shut, not because I wanted to anger her more but because I came here to at least blow off some frustration from New York.

"Unnie! I missed you!"

My lips broke into a grin, hearing the soft giggles of Amity behind me, before actually seeing her. I turned around quickly, just in time to catch her as she ran into my arms. She was wearing a navy blue ruffled dress, her short raven hair tied up into two low pigtails, her little legs covered in white stockings and black doll shoes.

"Hello there," I said, smiling softly as I brush away her bangs, "I missed you too," I pulled her close to me, giggling as I peppered kisses on her cheeks.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" My eyes snapped up to my older brother, who had just walked in, "Aren't you supposed to be in New York?" He added.

"That's what I've been telling your sister." Our mother snapped, her eyes glued on the monitors in front of her.

A heavy sigh escaped my lips as I hoisted Amity up on my hips as I stood, and grabbed her free hand, waving it at our older brother, who still had his eyebrows raised at me.

"Annyeong, oppa." Amity giggled.

Alistair shook his head, a smile dancing on his lips as he did so but it disappeared rather quickly. He then turned to our mother, who still had that frown on her face that I'm starting to wonder if she ever smiles - at all. Maybe she did, just when I'm not around.

Alistair cleared his throat and handed a tablet, my brows furrowing in curiousity, "There had been two demon attacks around Myeongdong district and a demon possession in Busan. The bodies are being held at the lab to have it checked but we are still waiting for the Clave's approval. You can check them out."