Chapter 06

06| hope

"Ah, much better." Magnus sighed in relief, the magic disappearing into his hands as we settled into his new lair.

I shot Magnus a funny look.

"Ugh, it's inevitable," Magnus frowned, "After each move, I get the itch to redecorate. Normally, I love a dirty lair, but this one is just sloppy."

"I don't know, I like this view better." I shrugged as I walked towards the huge window, the city lights glimmering through the night. Magnus shrugged back, before turning to Isabelle beside him.

"I believe in payment for services rendered." He started and held the ruby necklace up towards Isabelle, "Thank you for defending the warlocks."

Isabelle's eyes went wide in awe and surprise, "I couldn't." She stammered.

"Oh, but you could." Magnus said, and walked behind her, clipping the necklace around her neck, "And you should. The Lightwoods have been wearing this for years. Besides, this would look silly on your brother."

Clary stood up, "Okay, so how do we summon the memory demon?"

"Are you certain?" Magnus asked, his brow raised at her, "Summoning such a powerful demon could be lethal."

"I'll do anything to save my mother." Clared stood her ground, "Where's the demon?"

"Okay," Magnus nodded and turned to Alec and me, "Get your team ready." He said and pointed to Clary, "You. Come with me."

My gaze followed Magnus and Clary as they disappeared into another room, before settling back to the view in front of me. I almost forgot how wonderful the New York is especially at night - it somehow felt like home.

"The view's perfect, isn't?" Alec asked beside me. I glanced at him, his eyes on me instead. Heat warmed my face, forcing me to look away.

"Yeah," I breathed out, smiling, "It is. I missed just watching the lights."

A small scream broke out from the room, but Magnus just shrugged as he walked out. After a few moments, we all headed inside. Clary straightened up, dusting her hands as we all stared at the large pentagram she had drawn on the floor.

"Jocelyn was right," Magnus' eyes lit up, scanning the drawing, "Your artistry is beyond compare."

Clary blushed, "I don't know about that."

"Oh, the only other person I've known who could draw as well was Michaelangelo," He added, chuckling more to himself, "Who was excellent in bed, I might add."

My eyes widened, but Magnus continued and walked around the star, "Okay. We're ready. Everyone take your rightful place on the pentagram."

Isabelle took a step back, pinching my waist lightly, mumbling, "I'm happy to sit this one out."

I gave her a confused look, my eyes shooting up at Alec who just shrugged and nudged me, setting me right between him and Magnus, "Here."

"We must initiate a bond," Magnus started, rolling his sleeves up to his elbow, "Once this bond is sealed, it cannot be broken until the demon retreats. No matter what happens, we must not let go of each other's hands."

Magnus held out his hand for me, a jolt of heavy energy surges in the room as our hands connected one by one.

"I will lead the ceremony, and you all must do exactly as I say." Magnus explained, "The demon's name is Valak. And at some point, he will ask for payment in exchange for Clary's memories."