Prologue 1/3

-"Your majesty, shall we discuss the important duties today?"

-"I want to sleep, Evelyn." The princess said while laying on her comfortable bed. She then opened her eyes, sighting, realising the upcoming responsibilities she had to accomplish.

-"Let me guess, a meeting with mister Wägner? I already see him thrice a week, is there any problem this time?"

-"I'm afraid not. Your majesty would have to assist a crucial meeting with the council this week. I freed up your schedule to ensure you will be well-prepared for every discussion." She answered while reading her notes from the agenda.

-"Besides", she continued, "I can feel something is off."

-"What do you mean?" The princess asked, intrigued.

-"Amelia or Camilla are usually passing by your majesty's room by this exact time. I cannot hear anyone." Evelyn replied, checking her watch.

Ever vigilant, she scanned the room for any signs of danger.

-"I suggest you to-"

Without warning, the tranquility of the princess's room shattered like glass. The door burst open, revealing soldiers with malicious intent. Evelyn's instincts kicked in, and she swiftly moved to shield the princess from the impending threat.

-"Surrender the princess! This is a coup!" Ordered one of the soldiers as he penetrated the room further to catch her.

In a swift and calculated response, the women punched him in the face as she broke his nose and positioned herself ready to welcome the others, running towards her. The room became a battlefield, the clash of guns punctuating the urgency of the situation.
The princess, hidden behind her bed, began sobbing listening to the agony of the fighters in her bedroom, believing she was next.
But admist the chaos, Evelyn made a crucial decision, she rapidly guided the princess out of harm's way, steering her towards the only place she deemed secure : her own room.
Locking the door. She took a breath.

-"They probably want the princess..and my head." She thought, swiftly wiping away the red liquid on her forehead, not wanting to alarm her mistress with the sight of blood.

Evelyn turned around to see the princess seated on the bed, her body looking calm compared to her horrified face, and doubtlessly how tangled her mind was.

-"Don't worry your majesty, we're safe now." She said calmly. "Perhaps you want a-"

-"Hug."

The women smiled and gave a gentle reassuring hug to the frail corpse of the princess still shaking with fright.
It's not every day that a 21 years old princess witness a coup attempt against her, especially when she doesn't have parents to "protect her".
After some seconds that seemed to be an eternity, her ragged breathing slowly found it's rhythm as Evelyn began to caress her hair, whispering words of reassurance.

-"Evelyn, you've always been my shield in times of needs." She finally mumbled, trying arduously to smile.

The women soften her gaze and replied:
-"It's my duty to protect you my princess. Besides, shall we hide in the secret room?"

-"The what?"

-"Do your majesty remember telling me about it when you first gave me this room?"

-"..Are you being serious?"

Evelyn went straight to open the door of her wardrobe under the skeptical look of the princess. The women spread her hanging clothes as she showed her a little passage that led to the promised chamber.

-"How come I barely have a memory about this?" She stared at the place in utter awe.

-"I'm glad your majesty like it." Evelyn commented, looking amused.

-"I don't like it, I LOVE IT !"

Admist the chaos of the coup attempt, the room appeared as heaven, a sanctuary the young guard cherished.
The circular chamber, bathed in the soft glow of concealed lights, oozed an air of  luxury. To the left was a small kitchenette  where Evelyn loved to make tasty meals by herself. A little dinning area, with a modest table and comfortable chairs, provided an intimate space for shared moments.
On the opposite side, there was a cozy living area with a plush sofa and cushions, and some shelves that held an array of books and cherished moments that transformed the room into a cute private library.
In the corner, a concealed door led to the bathroom.

Nevertheless, the most beautiful thing in this heaven was undoubtedly the paronamic window that offered a breathtaking view of the palace grounds. The expansion gardens stretching out like a vibrant tapestry, adorned with different colourful flowers and towering trees.
And this was exactly what the two characters needed in the middle of such a chaos behind the iron doors : a feeling of false security.