Chapter 2 : Drug

From the moment my lineage was revealed, as the nephew of the prime minister Henry Wägner, an unspoken tension enveloped the palace. The once amicable exchanges among fellow guards transformed into awkward glances, false smiles, and palpable avoidance.

Nevertheless, the isolating tension and the uncomfortable glances, though upsetting, didn't destabilize me nor diminish my commitment to the responsibility given to me as a royal guard. Although it wasn't what I truly wanted.

It was..annoying.

I would like Evelyn's magic potion. How does she maintain a stoic face all the time even in situations like mine ?
The only difference was that everyone is looking at her with awe while they're looking at me with disdain.

In the routine of the palace life, I found myself fortunate enough to catch glimpses of Evelyn 3 times a week. With each passing day my admiration for her grew.
And as expected, the princess was going to meet the council in the Great audience room, always accompanied with her cherished right hand, Evelyn.
As she walked along side her ruler, I couldn't help but watch her with a sense of fascination. Our eyes met, and in that fleeting moment. Time seemed to stand still.

Evelyn, known for her dedication to work and a life devoid of distractions, made an eye contact with a mere royal guard.

And thanks to those few seconds of eye contact, I found myself unable to sleep, caught in the grips of joy similar to a child experiencing the magic of love for the first time.

Wait, did I say love ?

Of course not. It's just a mere admiration for an attractive and confident women.

The routine of observing her, soon turned into a series of stolen glances and moments that lingered in my thoughts.
Our interactions were limited to those brief exchanges, the silent acknowledgement that passed between us as Evelyn fulfilled her duties with unwavering focus.

And it became a source of both joy and frustration.

And fantasy.

Imagining her smiling at me, laughing at my dull jokes, or even touching my shoulders.

Were they pathetic dreams ? Yes, undoubtedly.
But I refused to let my mind navigating further towards a more stimulating and erotic route that would never ends.

Surprisingly, I even began to think of her while drinking red wine, or passing by the cherry curtains and carpets adorning the halls, or the obscurity of my own room at night.

She was beauty, appealing darkness, intriguing scarlet, secrets, a calm storm that threatened to engulf us all in its tumultuous embrace.

And in the midst of my daydreaming, I've came to hit an undeniable truth : it was nearly impossible that such a fantastic women wasn't seeing anyone.
I could have asked some friends of mine about her supposed personal situationship, but unfortunately I hadn't got any.

But does it matter? Would her entailment to another person change how I perceive her?
Absolutely not.

As weeks turned into months, my fascination with Evelyn only deepened. The more I observed her, the more I yearned to understand the secrets behind her stoic demeanor and unwavering dedication.

And another day in the Great Hall, another fleeting glimpse of Evelyn. As I stood at my post, my mind wandered to thoughts of her, her voice echoing in the corridors of my mind.

What would it be like to reach out and touch her, to feel the warmth of her hand in mine? But such fantasies were forbidden, destined to perish like whispers in the wind.

We applied the protocol afresh once we saw the princess approaching with her eternal chancellor. Our eyes met once again, and this time, I couldn't believe my own eyes.

She smiled at me.

It was a small gesture, a fraction of seconds.

But it sent my ripples through my heart which would stop beating at any moment.
Though I wouldn't mind.

And all I could think about during the whole week was that smile.

That beautiful smile of hers.

A rare and precious gift that filled me with a sense of euphoria unlike anything I had ever experienced before.

I was a drug addict, and she was a drug.
A powerful kind that I couldn't get enough of, making me wanting more each day passing.

And no, it's not love.

***
Hello guys! I hope you're really enjoying my novel. And sorry for the slow burn lol.
A kiss for you all ❤️