Chapter 10 : Sophie

11:58

I watched the hands move with a hypnotic rhythm, listening to the tik tok sound that filled my ears apart from the slight singing of the birds outside.

It was perfect. Each sound seemed to lull me deeper into a state of relaxation, though my head hurt like hell. I didn't want to go back to sleep; I wanted to continue staring at the beautiful clock beside my bed.

Then, as if on cue, the clock struck 11:59. I continued to stare at it, the red color of each number etched in my mind. It wasn't as vivid as it seemed to be at night; rather, it was a light cherry red, calming. And somehow, looking at it made me think of someone.

I was being gently rocked to sleep, especially by the warm glow of the sun streaming in through the windows, casting soft shadows on the walls, on my hair, and on the clock. And the bed... It was the most comfortable bed I had ever touched. It felt like heaven.

But then, with a suddenness that jolted me from my reverie, the clock chimed 12:00. My eyebrows furrowed in confusion as I tried to make sense of it.

Why had 59 turned into 00? It was supposed to be 60, wasn't it? My mind raced with questions.

I was struck by the realization as if hit by a volley of arrows on the battlefield. I was damn late. Late for work as a royal guard, late for my duties. Late for everything. A surge of panic shot through me. I swiftly threw off my blanket, and my mind went blank.

I was fucking naked.

Confusion clouded my thinking as I scanned the room. It wasn't mine. The walls were painted with a calming shade of blue, my favorite color. Antique furniture adorned the room, though possessing a certain simplicity, they glowed with the warmth of the sun coming from the large balcony on the left, kissing every corner.
But it was the ceiling that truly caught my eyes, it was a painting of naked figures.

Just like me.

I continued to stare at the frescoes on the wall until I decided to get up and take a shower. I needed to figure out where I was and how I ended up here.

I swung my legs over the side of the bed and stood up, my head pounding from the sudden movement already. Every detail of the room seemed to blur together, making it difficult to focus.

I stumbled toward what appeared to be a bathroom door, my mind still foggy with sleep.

As I pushed it open, my mind went blank again.

Evelyn?

Standing before me was a woman, applying her scarlet lipstick, her black hair tumbling in waves around her bare, glowing shoulders. She wore a tight, short black dress that hugged her every curve in a provocative way.

No way. It wasn't her.

Her eyes met mine, and she smiled. "Good morning, babe," she said, before turning her gaze to the mirror. She then picked up her black raven clutch and passed beside me.

-"It was one of the best nights I had shared with someone."

She glanced at me and then at my bare lower body. I completely forgot that I was naked. But it didn't matter; I just wanted to know what she was talking about.

My face shifted from confusion to anger. She seemed to notice when she chuckled slowly.

-"Hey, don't be mad at me; I'm the one who's supposed to be. You were screaming the name of some other girl the whole night."

-"Get out."

-"Pardon?" (Excuse me?)

-"Get the hell out." And without any hesitation, I pushed her to the front door before closing it.