Chapter 5 : Celebration

-"Looks like we're the lucky team tonight! What a chance!"

-"At first, I thought I would never be chosen. It's a miracle!"  

-"Yeah," the man said quietly, pausing for a few seconds. "Except for someone."

I could feel his intense gaze on me. Slowly, I turned in his direction, only to find him still staring at me with a menacing glare.

If looks could kill...

Today was more than just an ordinary day. Today marked Sylvonia's independence day, one of the happiest occasions of the year, when everyone celebrates the grandiose victory of the Sylvonians over the French military in 1824.

Oh, I misspoke.

Almost everyone.

There are still many who never celebrate this journey, always at home, where studying is better than dancing with other children, where survival outweighs the pleasure of fireworks, and where committing suicide seems like a better option than being constantly excluded from society and persecuted by fathers that would shoot them at any moment with their bottles of wine.

It felt like a surprise attack : luck was all that mattered.

But now, that was all in the past.
No more drugs, no more danger, no more fear. Instead, there was the promise of more life, more security, and more admiration.

And for the first time in my entire existence, I would be able to join in the celebration. Not as a royal guard in the Great Hall, but as one in the audience room - a room of majestic beauty that I had never before entered.

As I entered the audience chamber with my fellow guards, I couldn't help but marvel everywhere. The room was immense : perfection of Renaissance architecture. Its vaulted ceilings were adorned with intricate frescoes depicting the triumphs and tribulations of our kingdom's history - stories of love and loss, hope and despair, watching over us from above. Shafts of sunlight streamed through the stained glass windows, casting colorful patterns upon the floor below.
But what truly captivated me was the abundance of gold, from the ceiling to the mirrors' borders, from the doors to the Royal throne itself, draped in luxurious raven silk at the far end of the chamber.

We stood motionless in our assigned positions, awaiting the arrival of the visitors.

"There will be members of the Congress, important ministers, Her Majesty, and her right hand. All you have to do is not to touch food. If you need to use the bathroom, take two steps forward, render a salute, and leave." my uncle had advised.

***

It will be better if you listen to some calm classical music while reading.
My recommendations are :

-Canon-Johann Pachelbel.

-Chopin-Nocturnes.

***

I watched as the maids made final adjustments before likely heading back to the kitchen. Soon after, the orchestra began to play, signaling the entrance of the guests. And as my uncle predicted, members of the Congress and ministers proceeded down the glowing red carpet, followed by two little blond girls tossing rose petals with infectious smiles. One wore a sky-blue cute dress, while the other donned white, symbolizing our national flag.