Part 12

Ten Years Ago

I ran my hands over the black dress that cascaded down my body like water with gold trim and motifs that crisscrossed over the bodice. My reflection in the mirror made me feel otherworldly because there was no way I was wearing an original Versace that cost more than a kidney. But Hunter wanted me to wear it for our date tonight and I wasn't sure if I'd be comfortable such an expensive dress for an entire evening. But there was no way I could say no to this gorgeous item because I promised him I'd wear whatever he wanted. And it truly felt like the dress was made for me.

There was no jewelry in the package he sent except for a pair of gold stud earrings which matched the gold work on the dress and I decided to put my hair in a ponytail as I waited for Hunter with anxiety floating in my stomach.

I wished Helena could be here to cheer me up or tell me that everything would be okay but she was busy with her evening classes so I had no one to talk to. I couldn't even text her because she wouldn't reply.

The sound of the doorbell had me nearly dropping my phone in fright. I looked at the clock to see the needle pointing at seven and swore under my breath. This was it. Hunter was here and now I'd have to go with him to wherever he was planned to take me.

Stealing a final glance at myself through the mirror to make sure everything was in place, I stepped out of my bedroom and locked the door behind me. I stood in front of the staircase for a few seconds, making sure that no one downstairs would see me going out with Hunter Lashbroke. It was only when I encountered absolute silence did I step down and reached the front door of the house. I pasted on my best smile because I did not want to be vulnerable in front of him and opened the door.

My mouth watered as I took in the sight of Hunter standing in front of me. He was dressed in a charcoal gray suit which molded perfectly to his body. His hair was styled neatly and the intense heat in his eyes made me feel as if I was the most beautiful woman he'd ever seen.

"You look absolutely exquisite," he said, stepping forward and gently planting a kiss on the apple of my cheek.

Heat raced down my spine causing me to look away from him as I gathered myself. "Th—thank you. Um... you look... really handsome."

The smile on his face widened like he'd received the biggest compliment and I could literally feel my heart softening. Goddamn, he was dangerous for the female population.

"Thank you and I have to say I believe you," he said.

"What do you mean? You don't believe people when they tell you you're looking good?" I asked with a confused smile.

He chuckled and shook his head. "Not really. Sometimes I feel people compliment me because they want something from me. But I know when they genuinely mean it and I do appreciate it." He paused and before awkwardness could set in, he held out a bouquet of flowers to me. "These are for you."

My eyes widened as I took in the red flowers which had now become familiar to me. Red salvias stood proudly from the bouquet, eclipsing the white daisies and Helena's words echoed in my head about the meaning of the flowers.

Forever mine.

"Thank you." I took the bouquet from him, unable to tear my eyes from the red petals. "Do you know the meaning of the flowers?"

His eyebrows furrowed. "Do flowers have meaning? I've heard people say they have meaning but I never believed it."

So he didn't know what the red flowers meant? The fear eclipsing my mind dissipated, allowing me to relax in his presence. I was worried for no reason. Hunter wasn't as possessive as everybody made him out to be. But rumors had a way of magnifying certain aspects of the truth. I'd no doubt he was possessive about his woman but he wasn't insane.