CH.31 - you don't need to protect me

Jake's pov:

I wake up alone in bed. I look at the time and see that I got a text from Sam saying that he's leaving soon to pick us up. I quickly get dressed and make my way to the stairs. Before I even start to make my way down I hear a noise coming from the bathroom.

"Shit" I hear a muffled voice say

I slowly open the door and see johnnie picking up a makeup pallet. I smile as I watch him put it back on the counter and continue doing his makeup. He looks so perfect as he applies more eyeshadow under his eyes.

"Whatcha getting all cute for~" I smirk as I see a blush form on his face

"What do you mean? I always wear makeup." He tilts his head before looking back in the mirror

"Never this much though."

"Dose...dose it look bad?" He looks me in the eyes

"Nonono it looks good." I reassure him
"You look beautiful."

"Good, I spent time on this shit...did you want some?"

"Yeah, why not." I smile as I kneel down next to him

I close my eyes as he applies makeup on my eyelids. Once I open them I look at myself in the mirror and see just a little bit of orange eyeshadow on my lids. I smile as I start to stand back up.

"Thank you~" I smile
"Are you done with your own? Sam should be on his way."

"Yeah, I'm done." He smiles

We leave the bathroom and walk downstairs. Just as we reach the last step I hear a knock at the door. I open it to see Colby standing there.

"You guys ready?" He asks

"Yeah, let me get my bag and we'll be good." I say as I walk to the kitchen

I quickly grab my bag and walk outside. I get in Sam's car and he rushes off to school. Once we reach the gates Johnnie quickly grabs my hand. I look down at him with a confused smile.

"Sorry.." he almost whispers
"Bryan is right there." He points

"It's okay. We're at school, he can't do anything to you."

"I guess..I mean he has before." He sighs

"True, why don't you ever report him to the principal? He can easily lose his job." I ask

"Because he knows where I live and where I work..and he shows up at basically every party we're at. I can never actually get him out of my life." He sighs

"Yeah but him losing his job would be such a good thing. He wouldn't be able to bug you anymore here." I argue

"Yeah but...I guess I feel bad for him."

"Why would you ever feel bad for that asshole?" I furrow my brows

"Because I used to be friends with him. He was once nice to me. And I guess...I guess that I force myself to believe that somewhere inside him he can go back to how he was..that he could be nice again."

"Was he ever really nice? Of what you told me he has always been an asshole."

"I guess..." He looks down at his shoes
"I-..I don't want to talk about it anymore."

"Okay." I sigh as I hold his hand tight

We make it to my class first and we say our goodbyes. I watch him walk down the hallway before turning into my class. I take a seat at my normal desk and wait for the bell to ring.

Johnnie pov:

It's lunch and I sigh as I take a seat at the benches that we sit at. I can feel my hands shake but I try my best to calm down before anyone can see me. Bryan has been almost following me all day, I mean I can't NOT see him every time I turn the corner. I take deep breaths, trying to calm my still shaking hands. I close my eyes and think about the good things that I did this week. I think about how I was able to go to a party after having so many bad experiences, how I was able to confront Bryan, how I was able to ask Jake on the date, how I was able to open up more to him, how I told him how much I love him... I open my eyes and look down at my hands, calm. I sigh out of relief. I hate feeling like this. I hate how weak I look and feel, how just seeing Bryan can make me like this. I used to not get so worked up but ever since he's been fucking with Jake I just....i break down. I feel the need to hide this. I don't want Jake or the others to worry about me...more like pity me. I know I can protect myself from Bryan, we both know that I can. I've been fine on my own, protecting myself as he started working here. But now that I'm dating Jake he sees this as a way to get at someone else. He knows how protective and jellous Jake gets, he knows how to get under his skin. I know that Bryan sees this as a game. A game where he eggs Jake on and Jake thinks that he's the hero, he thinks I'm fragile. I know he does. I know I have my moments but, fuck. I don't have to have someone be some kind of knight in shining armor. I shake my head. No, I know Jake is doing this because he loves me. I just can't help but feel small... I need this to stop. I mean...it's almost the end of the year and-and I can put up with this anymore.