Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Becoming a Scout apprentice in DuneClan opened me to a world of firsts.

Today was the first time I ever felt true fear.

A mass of DuneClan cats stood on the open sandy dune, the sun to their backs. I was huddled in a corner with the other Scouts. Adderlight's body lay at the crest of the dune, limp black and white fur visible for all eyes to see.

Each cat padded up to him, murmured something softly into his ear, and then slipped back into the crowd. They were all grieving, letting out plaintive wails, and nuzzling one another for comfort.

"Would you like to offer a word to him?"

I shook my head as Diurnalstorm nudged my shoulder. The older Scout's soft brown eyes stared at me imploringly. I turned away, not quite able to speak.

Dingofoot was seated behind me. His back was rigid, his muscles taught, and his expression was entirely unreadable. His brown-red pelt and stormy grey eyes were the first things I fell upon after I had turned away from Adderlight's body the night before.

He had snuck up on me then, in my moments of grief, anger and confusion.

"What happened?" he had asked me in his gravelly voice.

"Adderlight was murdered," I replied.

Dingofoot had surveyed the body, and then me. "Sheathe your claws, Pythonpaw," he had said at last. "Go wash them in Little Stream."

I had been too tired to object. My paws, still trembling with rage, had carried me to the small murky brown stream where DuneClan warriors occasionally bathed. I stared down at my reflection, watching as scarlet tinged to water around me. I exhaled deeply, promising myself that I would be calculated and precise with my vengeance.

It was only later that I realised Dingofoot never asked me who the murderer was.

"DuneClan! Come gather!"

Pricklestar's yowl broke me out of my reverie. The clan leader was standing right above Adderlight's black and white body. There were dark shadows under her eyes as she surveyed the gathering cats.

I began to pad forward, keeping my eye out for Owlpaw. It took me several moments to realise that she was not even with the crowd.

Flamepaw was. I saw his bulging muscular grey shoulders. He had settled himself near the front, beside his mentor, Darkember. Darkember. I stared at the black tabby as he offered words of advice to his clanmates. He was the only one who seemed to be able to sit straight.

He's a popular choice, I thought. I had always admired his strength as a kit. I understood why Pricklestar had chosen a cat like him to watch over Flamepaw. But popularity doesn't make him a good cat...

Anger pulsed through my paws as Flamepaw shook out his pelt and let his head droop in grief. I wanted to snarl at him, and drag him away from DuneClan, but I knew no cat would believe me if I called him a murderer. My silence wasn't for that reason.

I don't want it to be real. If I reveal what he did, I will truly want to kill him, and then innocent little Rustkit will die.

I was afraid of what would happen. Would the darkness overtake me?

"Clanmates, fellow warriors, and Scouts," Pricklestar yowled. "Today we mourn the loss of a great warrior. Adderlight."

A strengthening gale ruffled the fur of all the DuneClan warriors. The golden grains of sand flew into my mouth, tasting eerily similar to blood. I felt the grains swirl around me, forcing their way into the wound on my forepaw.

Venom Within - WARRIOR CATSOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara