Chapter 9

Chapter 9

I nodded farewell to Owlpaw as she began the long trek towards the Desert Outpost. A pale half moon shone brightly above the sky before us. Today was the night of the meeting with the OasisClan cats.

"Are you sure you'll be alright?" I asked, racing towards her.

Owlpaw turned away, and flicked her tail. "Yeah," she said distractedly. "I'll be fast, and this is our home. I seriously doubt any stray or mangepelt would risk attacking me with all these patrols around."

Her ears kept twitching as she surveyed the vast expanse of rolling dunes before us. Prickly green cactuses were the only source of colour in the barren landscape. I kneaded my paws into the sand as Owlpaw turned away.

"Be careful," I murmured. "I'll try to catch up as soon as Dingofoot lets me off the patrol."

In the quarter moon since Adderlight's murder, and Darkember had become deputy, subtle changes had occurred throughout DuneClan. One of which was the constant night patrols that all the Scouts had to do.

I turned my head towards the dune where three young cats were sparring. I saw the flash of unsheathed claws glinting in the moonlight as Lizardtail struck out at Spidercloud. The she-cat yelped, cringing as the blow connected with her ear.

Darkember wanted us all to be prepared for war. It was inevitable, he told us each day as he assigned duties. The dingos, other clans, or rogues, would inevitably come for us. We needed to be prepared to strike fast.

Striking fast... Like the snake's fangs, shooting for Burrowpaw's neck.

"Are you ready? Or would you prefer me come back when you've turned to dust?"

I didn't have to look over my shoulder to know my mentor was behind me. His soft, growly voice was unmistakable. Dingofoot flicked his tail, dark grey eyes entirely unreadable.

"The only cat turning to dust is Darkember," I retorted. "I bet he's lazing about in camp while the Scouts are out risking their lives in this foxdunged snake and rogue infested territory."

Dingofoot's eyes glinted. "Be careful what you say so close to camp, Pythonpaw. DuneClan is ever vigilant."

I let him take the lead up the ridge, silently begging him to move faster so that I could catch up with Owlpaw. While we walked, my mind kept circling back to Flamepaw and Adderlight, and the growing beast inside of me.

Under the stillness of the night, it seemed to seethe inside of me, desperately trying to claw its way out. I bit down hard, and suddenly tasted blood. A shudder rippled across me as the salty sweet tang trickled down my throat.

We continued to travel. The sand changed to a darker orange colour as though the sand had been bathed in the first streaks of sunset. There were more shrubs around, and the land had evened out. The scent of DuneClan was as strong as ever, but there was another reek in the air.

"Twoleg," Dingofoot had told me when we'd first ventured here.

"What is that?" I'd asked.

Dingofoot hadn't met my eye when he responded. "A dangerous creature that walks on two legs. Eviller than rogues. If you ever see one, scram."

Now, Dingofoot moved quickly, but my body was rapidly growing swifter. My paws kept thrumming across the earth with such monotonous rhythm, that I nearly descended a crest, before realising that my mentor had halted.

His expression darkened as he lifted his muzzle into the air.

"Get back," he growled, flattening his ears.