Chapter 11

Chapter 11

My eyes were wider than the moon above as I stared at the shimmering green pillar before me. It seemed as though it was calling out to me, urging me to touch my nose and reach out to the stars.

"This place feels so much more sacred without all the gathering cat around," Owlpaw breathed.

Her warm breath ruffled the fur along my spine. I turned to her, nodding in vehement agreement. All four of the Star Stone pillars, blue for OasisClan, yellow for DuneClan, dull grey for cats outside the clans, and green for SnakeClan, seemed to shimmer with life.

They all surrounded a gigantic white pillar, which seemed to stretch on into the stars. I opened my mouth in awe.

"I'll be over here if you need anything," Dingofoot assured me.

I noticed how hurriedly he backed away from the Star Stones, fur ruffling along his spine. I vaguely wondered why he was so scared, when this place urged me closer with each passing heartbeat.

"I'll be beside you," Owlpaw offered with a small smile. "Ready to pull you away if anything super chaotic happens, alright?"

"I doubt I'll start having visions of DuneClan disco parties, if that's what you're worried about."

Owlpaw grinned, and I blinked back at her. A little bit of the tension resting over us seemed to easy. Tentatively, I padded across the cool golden sand. I gave my friend one last reassuring glance before I sat down beside the green pillar.

Then, I took a deep breath, closed my eyes, and pressed my muzzle against the Starlight Stone.

Darkness swirled around me. I tried to yowl, but no sound could escape my jaws. I tried to look around, but there was nothing but shadows. No rolling hills, no blue sky, not even a grain of sand could be visible. My heart began to pound.

I was floating, or perhaps I was falling. It was impossible to tell. I tried to move my paws, but they seemed entirely disconnected from me.

GalaxyClan, what is this?! Even my own thoughts reverberated against the dark space surrounding me.

The rapid pulsing of my heart increased, until I felt as though I was racing as fast as I could. I tried to breathe, but no air came in or out. Pain seemed to swamp me, like a clan of warriors tearing into me from every angle.

Stars flecked my vision, and I was sure that I was about to pass out. In one last desperate attempt, I concentrated all my focus, and-

A blast of red light exploded before me. Suddenly, I was flung back. My paws and tail flew around me as violent streaks of red sent me rolling. When I finally managed to find my balance, I looked up.

"It has been a long time since I was last summoned..."

I narrowed my eyes, trying to see the figure who was speaking. All I could see was the red light, a glowing orb in the midst of the darkness. Their voice reverberated in the space around me, sending a chill across my body.

This was a powerful creature, one that demanded great respect.

"I came to ask you..." my voice trailed away as I stared at the shape.

I could see eyes glowing at the centre of the glowing sphere. They seemed oddly familiar, piercing and intelligent. A shudder coarse along my spine as I stared at the creature.

"I've seen you before."

"That you have," the light dimmed slightly, and I could see a tail lashing to and fro. "I watched you get bitten. Those snakes are my eyes and ears but my power these days is scarcely that of a grain of sand. It made its own choice to strike, though I'm glad it did."