『 Chapter 48 』

The first time Cassius was on Giancarlo Costa's estate, he did not have the chance to roam around and explore the vast property as he was not there as a guest, unlike now that the mafia boss has even given him a room and let him call his wife, who was worried about his safety.

Now that it has come to that point, Cassius doesn't exactly know what to do next. Going back to the precinct isn't an option, especially after Miller Jones set up a trap for him.

Anyone in his workplace couldn't be trusted.

"How are you feeling?" Cassius looked back and saw Yuri, who was still sweating from her afternoon run. He hasn't seen her all day after eating breakfast last morning with Giancarlo.

"I guess I am still processing the fact that this is already my second life," he tried to sound like he was just joking, but there was a hint of seriousness in his voice.

Yuri managed a small laugh and shook her head as she wiped her face with a towel. He wanted to tell her to slow down, considering that the wound where the tracker was removed from her is still fresh, but knowing how she tends to push herself, he decided to keep his concern to himself.

"I never knew that you could fight like that. You really surprised me back there. It's like a whole new side of you," he started, remembering how Yuri effortlessly took down those men last night without breaking a sweat. It was as if she had tapped into a hidden reserve of strength and skill.

No wonder Giancarlo was allured by her.

"When dad died, it was hard for me and mom. Everyone in town knows what happened and how his death was connected to the mafia, so no one would accept my job application. I couldn't go anywhere else, so I became a mercenary. It was good money."

For a fleeting moment, Cassius almost said that she could've turned to him, but he remembered that he also left her. He couldn't blame her for finding a way to survive in a world that had turned its back on her.

"Is that the job that allowed you to meet the mafia boss?" he asked in keen interest.

Yuri shrugged her shoulders. "Yes and no, I guess. Meeting Giancarlo was purely coincidental, although I have always planned on killing him. But then he told me that he had nothing to do with dad, so I thought it would be better to have him help me out."

Cassius let out a heavy sigh upon hearing that. Yuri had changed a lot through the years, but there is one thing that has remained indifferent about her: she's always been a woman of determination, ready to risk her own life for the sake of her loved ones. Something that he could never measure up to.

"I hope that after all this is over, you will live in peace and find someone who will love and appreciate you for the strong and selfless person you are. It might be stupid hearing it from an ex-lover, but I genuinely mean it. You deserve happiness and a future filled with love and support."

Yuri just laughed at that. "I have no such plans for finding love or settling down. After this, I might agree to what mom said before that we'll go back to Manila and start a new life. I don't think I could stay here in this place filled with memories and heartache."

He was about to answer when the door opened, and Favio walked in with a grim look on his face.

"You have to see the news."

Yuri and Cassius exchanged looks of concern before following Favio to Giancarlo's office. The mafia boss isn't around, but some of his men and Valentin are inside, and their eyes are glued to the television screen.

Cassius was about to ask what was happening when he saw his picture flash across the screen, accompanied by a breaking news headline. His heart sank as he realized that he had become a wanted fugitive. The news anchor's voice described him as a police officer who is associated with a notorious criminal organization and has killed innocent people.