Thirty-Four: "𝙏𝙤 𝙩𝙪𝙧𝙣 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙥𝙖𝙜𝙚."

"I live for the present always. I accept this risk. I don't deny the past, but it's a page to turn."

- Juliette Binoche

"Do I look fine?"

"You look too fucking fine."

Dalaric mumbles, his eyes skimming my white collared shirt and tight black office slacks. I'm wearing heels too! At first, I questioned whether I should dress up for court or not, but after an hour and an elaborative search of 'Outfit ideas for court' on Pinterest, I made my mind up.

My baby runs a hand down his face, going through some documents before we leave for the trial. He stayed up for the majority of the night, flipping through stacks of forms and all that. I had to force him to come to bed by taking off my pants and letting him sleep on my tummy. He slept soundlessly soon after.

"Does someone need a recharge huggie?" I stand in front of the kitchen chair before opening my arms to him.

Dalaric sighs, setting down the papers before pulling me close and shoving his face in the crook of my neck. I kiss his neck twice, running a hand through his braids.

I have very mixed feelings about how this trial is going to go. On one hand, I'm ecstatic that this chapter will end today. That his fate will be decided today. On the other hand, if things go wrong. I can't imagine what on earth I'm going to do. What we're going to do.

He'll be stuck in the job his nineteen-year-old self never wanted. I don't want him to live that sort of terrifying life. His past mistakes were just that- mistakes. Why should he spend his entire life paying for them?

I pout angrily at my thoughts, hugging him tighter. No one's going to take my Dalaric. Nope. Never.

"All better, babycakes?" I ask, letting him go and fixing the collar of his shirt.

He's wearing a white collared full-sleeved shirt- we're twinsies - and a black turtle neck underneath- not twinsies for that - and I really want to gobble him up. Of course, my Maya-mark is hanging proudly around his neck. He also smells like me.

Yay.

"Mhm." He hums as a reply, kissing my nose and setting down my flyaways.

I hand him a hairbrush and plop myself on the edge of the sofa. Dalaric satisfyingly braids my hair, his large fingers combing through the strands smoothly. He makes all my worries vanish. Like the new toner I got does to the little bumpies on my forehead. I also sent a progress picture to Fatima who is very proud of my updated skin care regimen.

"You ready?" Once he's done, he ties the end of the braid using a hair tie before grabbing my hand.

I grab my purse and give him a kiss as a thank you, not forgetting to shove a granola bar and banana in the bag just in case he gets hungry.