Chapter 7.

Llewyn's worst suspicions were confirmed. All the lights in the serpents lair had been snuffed out which could only be done by magic. Llewyn clutched his own torch tightly. His heart was beating in his mouth. He walked deeper and deeper into the lair but couldn't find his mate.

Llewyn hoped Aiden had made it out but he couldn't stop running through the lair. Something told him that his alpha was still here. It wouldn't hurt to check the lair further. Llewyn had always thought that he hated Aiden. He had to. The alpha had left him the night they'd first slept together. The day he got his first heat. The day he had gotten marked. Llewyn knew he should feel angry and hateful. But when he faced Aiden he realized that wasn't case at all.

Towards his alpha whom he grew up with, fought monsters with and shared a soul with; Llewyn only felt one thing and that was love. He knew it wasn't the mate bond speaking. He'd realized it when he saw Aiden get hurt. He loved the alpha. He cared. But at the same he couldn't ask for more. Aiden was his mate but Llewyn wasn't able to face his fears. He didn't know why the alpha had left that night. And that's what scared him. Maybe the alpha left for his sake or maybe he got tired of him? Llewyn felt that asking why would make Aiden leave again. Disappear out of his life altogether.

Llewyn was brought out of his thoughts when he noticed a huddled figure on the floor. Serpent lairs made it harder to detect pheromones from a distance, but as he neared he realized the trembling figure was his mate. "Aiden!" Llewyn screamed rushing over. Aiden was crouched on the floor with his eyes shut. His hand was over his ears and he was sobbing quietly and wheezing for air. He was sweating profusely but his body was ice cold. He seemed unaware that Llewyn was near him. He was far too gone.

Llewyn took a deep breath. He needed to keep his mind clear. He fitted the torch on a nearby bearer and sat near his alpha. First he placed his arms around the alpha and enclosed him in a hug. He needed to apply as much pressure on the alpha, make him realize where he was. He also ripped his own shirt so his scent gland was exposed and brought it near to the alpha's nose. "Love, can you hear my voice. Take your time and breathe." He slowly patted him. "Remember I'm here. You're here with me, not back there. You're here with your omega."

Llewyn continued to comfort the alpha by whispering in his ear all the while releasing his pheromones and cradling the other. It took a couple of minutes for Aiden to finally respond. "Sunshine?"

"That's right I'm your sunshine, remember? Can you try to count to ten and breathe? Take your time." Llewyn said very slowly so that the alpha didn't miss anything he said.

"Mmm." Aiden moved his head as his nose burrowed further into Llewyn's scent gland. His erratic breathing slowed down.

"Good alpha." Llewyn said as he felt Aiden's body go lax. "Aiden?" Llewyn suddenly heard soft breathing as response. Aiden had lost his consciousness.

"Aiden, you're finally awake! I'm so glad." A little Llewyn shouted in relief holding the little Aiden's hand as the latter lay in bed. They were fifteen then and madly in love with each other. They'd been working in troll dungeons as punishment for skipping lessons when one of the trolls accidentally blew out a fire torch. This was before torches with manually inextinguishable flame were introduced. Llewyn had decided to scare his lover when he noticed the alpha was acting strange.

Aiden was screaming and shuddering like he was stuck in a horrendous nightmare. Llewyn tried to calm him down but to no avail so he knocked the alpha out and brought him to the healer's cabin. He had always solved everything with fists after all. When Aiden woke up, Llewyn felt like he could breathe again. It was then he learnt the reason for why Aiden was scared of the darkness.