One Step At A Time

Catnap ran for away, finding his way to an empty field. He slowed to a stop as he sat down, curling into a ball as he wrapped his long tail around himself.

He cried, tears pouring out of his eyes as he sat there.

He didn't know why but...something about that hurt. But why?

He hated Dogday, didn't he? Sure...it may have been due to The Prototype's, but he still betrayed him!

So the two of them should hate each other, right?!

So why did it hurt when the dog did hate him?

The cat sulked in his sadness, letting out occasional small whimpers as he cried.

Until he heard footsteps approaching, a soft sound heard through the grass.

Pat pat pat

The cat took his face out of his arms, turning his head to see who was approaching him.

It was that dog again. Why was here here?! To make fun of his suffering? To-

"Catnap...I'm sorry."

The cat's thoughts slowed to a stop once he heard those words. Was he really? But why? After all, it was he said.

He 'Didn't deserve to be alive'.

Dogday took a seat next to the cat, looking up at the sky.

"I shouldn't have lost my cool there, especially as a leader. I'm supposed to be fair to everyone, and I wasn't to you. So...I thought about something."

The dog turned towards the cat now, who eyed him for a moment, only to look away in response.

He hated looking at the dog's face. It reminded him of his past actions, which...only made him feel guilty.

It made him feel as if he was betraying his lord, the one who knew what's best for him.

"Maybe...Bobby is right. She may not be our Bobby, but she has a point. Maybe we could try to be friends again."

The cat's ears perked up. Friends? Maybe...maybe he was finally going to listen! Maybe he was going to join-

The dog raised a single finger.

"But! On one condition."

The cat lifted his head, his tears slowly to a stop. He gave a small nod. He was willing to at least hear the dog out.

"You have to agree to seperate yourself from The Prototype. I know he saved your life and all, but you have to realize that he's only doing more harm than good. I mean...look at our situation."

The cat's ears folded downwards. He's had a similar conversation with the dog many times before, and he hated it everytime.

It always made him...question. Question his faith.

"The other critters are dead thanks to his orders, and our friendship is in shambles. That's if it even exists at this point. And guess what? You still aren't free. None of us are."

The dog held out a hand, to which the cat let out a small hiss. Still, the dog's courage didn't waver at all. In fact, he didn't even flinch.

"Look...I won't force you to decide right now. Just...think about it, okay buddy? It'll be hard to give things a second chance after everything. Especially with what you did back at Playcare, but...I'm willing to give it a chance."

The cat decided to tone down his aggression a bit, though his ears were now folded backwards. He stared at the dog's paw, contemplating.

Well...The Prototype wasn't here to see him, right? He...He was free to make his own decision, which felt...weird. And scary.

He's been so used to relying on The Prototype for these situations. He...didn't know what to do.

He brought a paw close to Dogday's, almost as if he were about to agree on the deal. He brings it closer, only to hesitate, and pull it back, continuing to stare at Dogday's paw.

Dogday let out a soft sigh, smiling warmly at the cat. A smile he hasn't seen in so long.

In years.

"Heh...take your time Catnap. Just tell me your decision when you're ready, okay?"

The dog began to pull his paw away, only for the cat to grab it, holding it in place. The dog's eyes widened in curiosity, and surprise.

"Dogday..."

The cat finally spoke, avoiding eye contact with him as he looked at the grass.

"I...I don't know. I'll need more time to think. Just please..."

The cat hesitated, but forced himself to continue. Dogday deserved to know the truth, after all.

"Please don't leave, Dogday."

The feline begged, suddenly pulling the dog into a hug. His emotions felt...strange. As if they were all over the place.

Waves of emotions were hitting him, all at once, although he mainly showed it through his actions rather than his expressions.

Dogday noticed the cat's unusually expressive demeanor, taking note of it.

It was almost like the cat was becoming his old self again...as if he were freed from The Prototype...somehow?

The thought of it didn't make complete sense...and yet it did?

But now wasn't the time to theorize. Catnap needed him.

Dogday's tail wagged slightly once the he heard the cat's words. He smiled, pulling Catnap into a hug, gently.

Maybe there is hope after all.

"I won't."

Dogday reassured, which made the cat nearly burst into tears once again. The cat returned the hug, the first sign of affection that he's given the dog in a while. Ever since the two had their disagreement on The Prototype, that is.

While they shared the hug, the cat remained lost in thought.

How in the world was he going to do this?

He didn't want to leave Dogday, but his lord needs him to.

Could he really do this? Take Dogday's deal, and betray The Prototype, potentially leaving him for good?

And...how in the world are the two going to fix this? After everything?

But...can Dogday really forgive him?

And can the cat even forgive himself?

The cat decided to relax himself, resting his head on the dog's shoulder as he closed his eyes.

Maybe...they'll just have to take things one step at a time.