The Prototype

Hey! Before we start with this one, I just wanted to inform you all on something

For this story, I will still provide updates on here, but I'll likely be prioritizing updates on the AO3 upload of this fic, as it was mainly intended to be published there.

However, I'll still update it! There just may be delays and whatnot, as I'm trying to focus on stories that others seem to care for more as I don't want to create long waits for something.

Hope that makes sense! Anyways let's continue.

"Dogday...ever since we came here, I've felt strange. I'm not exactly sure how to describe it, but,"

The cat stood up, walking over to a window as he looked through it. Normally, he'd face Dogday when saying something like this, but he was admittedly still a bit shaken up from what just happened.

Dogday, being the cat's best friend, naturally understood this. He followed, standing beside the cat before gently placing his paw on Catnap's back.

This time, the cat didn't flinch from the dog's touch. Instead, he smiled a little, glancing over at the dog for a moment before returning his gaze back to the view through the window.

"Look...since I met The Prototype, and we had our....disagreement, I felt as if I had to rely on him, somehow. Sort of like being dependent on him. And yet..."

The cat's tail flicked around slightly as he made a short pause. Admittedly...he felt strange. He felt...sick, but with himself?

He couldn't quite explain it, but it's been something that he hasn't felt in a long time. The feeling was familiar, yet mysterious at the same time.

"But when we arrived here, together, I couldn't hear his voice. I was alone again. I began to feel different. Sick with myself, in a way. I can't remember what this feeling is, but it's like its eating at me or...something. Especially when I see you, Dogday."

The dog looked over at the cat with a small, sympathetic smile on his face. He placed his paw in the cat's, turning the cat's attention back towards him.

"Catnap...that's guilt. That's what you're feeling."

The cat frowned a little. To be fair...it served him right. He hurt Dogday and the others to an irredeemable degree. Especially considering that he killed half of them. He honestly wasn't sure how Dogday managed to even look him in the eye.

"But for the record, Catnap,"

The dog pulled the cat into a tight hug, holding on tight as his tail swayed gently.

"You're not alone, Catnap. You have me."

To the cat's surprise, tears began to well up in his eyes suddenly. He of course quickly returned the hug, his arms wrapped around in a tighter manner than the dog's.

"But...why? I did everything to hurt you. I betrayed you, I....I killed our friends, and I nearly-"

The cat's voice broke up, leaving his sentence unfinished as he sobbed into the dog's shoulder. The canine simply pat the cat's back, strangely unphased by his words.