Chp-15: Stuck

Alexa and Shifter were walking in complete silence. The only sound was the snapping of the twigs because of their feet and the chittering of the nocturnal animals. Alexa was feeling tired, her legs were sore and she looked at Shifter. He turned towards her and said, "Right there is Zenroot's house, I'm sure you know her. We are going there and staying at her place for the night. I can see you are tired." Alexa nodded. She saw the bush filled with Canvas berries. As she was starving, she quickly plucked a few. She gave a few to Shifter and this made him think 'Shifter, you are a monster! This girl is so sweet and good and you are taking her to the Son of the Devil!' Alexa imagined turquoise and the berry was of the color turquoise. She took a bite and let her tongue and taste buds absorb the sweet juice of the berry. After walking a few miles, they stood in front of Zenroot's door. Alexa was desperate to sit on a couch and sleep on a warm, soft bed. Shifter pushed the door open and then he looked at Alexa with concern in his eyes. He entered the house and Alexa followed him. Zenroot's house was not in good condition, books were lying everywhere, and a few of them were burned too. Alexa screamed as she saw the horrific sight of blood stains on the carpet. Shifter understood that Taurus was responsible for this. He didn't say this to Alexa as she won't go with him to Taurus. Alexa asked stammering, "Wh-what...is this?" Shifter said calmly, "Zenroot might have gone to treat someone and some animal might have broken in with his prey. The blood stain could be of its prey...don't worry." Shifter thought to himself 'By animal I mean Taurus.' Alexa nodded. She knew something was wrong, but still, she didn't utter a single word. Shifter signalled her to leave and he followed her. After leaving the house, Alexa took a deep breath and focused only on the sound of the river. The crystal clear river in which mesmerizing fishes swim. The air was filled with the sweet smell of leaves, and Alexa was relieved, they were out of the Dark Forest and into the Whisper Woods. Shifter seemed quite tensed. He turned only to find Alexa sniffling and wiping away her tears. He felt terrible. Shifter asked, "What is the real reason for your crying?" Alexa replied hoarsely, "I am scared. Whenever I think about what emotional and mental state Cady is in, it makes me cry. She is just a kid and doesn't know how to deal with such situations." Shifter was cursing Taurus in his thoughts. He too wanted Taurus's rule to end. Alexa asked, "You belong to Taurus's army, so why are you being nice to me?" Shifter smirked and said mockingly, "Because I am told to!" Alexa was stunned, she understood this was all a plan. Shifter felt his heartbreak when he said this. He was told to act like he was nice to her and then betray her. But when he got to know about Alexa's concern, he felt pity for her and rage for Taurus. Alexa heard the galloping of horses and her heart began to beat faster. Shifter held her arm and she tried to free herself. He covered her mouth with his hand and Alexa bit it. He screamed in pain and jerked his hand. A man in black clothing, just like Shifter and the symbol of the devil in red, picked her up and tossed her off in the carriage. Shifter climbed up in the carriage, holding his hand. He growled, "How could you bite someone this hard that it would bleed like anything!?" Alexa shouted, "You all are the worst people anyone could ever meet! You captured my cousin and now me. You all would kill us, right? Because it is a threat to your Great Taurus!" The man riding the horse slid his hand into his pocket, took out a packet, and gave it to Shifter. He ripped the packet open, took out the ointment, and applied it on his bruise. He then covered it with the dressing and sighed. Alexa's eyes watered up and she covered her mouth to prevent herself from crying loudly. Shifter laid down and looked at Alexa. He could either be loyal to Taurus and not mess with the carriage, This would mean supporting Taurus in another crime of his, or mess with the carriage and save Alexa and rescue Cady. Shifter swept his hand in his brunette-colored hair and gazed at the twinkling stars. Although he was under the beautiful celestial sky, anxiety was haunting him like a phantom as he was about to make a life-altering decision.

Should he save Alexa and Cady by risking his own life or take them to Taurus filled with Bloodlust? Shifter was about to make the most difficult decision ever, Humanity or Cruelty?