Chapter 8

Kane

Am I an idiot ?

Probably .

Do I have a problem ?

Definitely .

What's my problem ?

...

Truly and honestly I still can't figure out what the hell possessed me to say these things to Hannah that day . I'm truly grateful she didn't complain about it to anyone . Not even after the principal gave her detention for avoiding meeting him and called her mom to discuss her behavior . Which is really weird . I don't know why did she refrain from exposing me , but whatever the reason , it can't be more than pity for a foolish man like me .

She's rich , like all my students . They all see us as servants at their feet , maybe even her , only she is more tolerant of stupid mistakes than others .

Hannah kept attending my classes as if nothing happened , as if we didn't have that conversation at all , as if my words and my pathetic admission were barely a joke .

How I wish that was the case !

Otherwise I wouldn't have snapped at her for not focusing in class for a second . We're humans after all and I get that no matter how much we need to concentrate on certain things , we can't help letting our minds slipping away once in a while too . Hannah was fascinated by the snow falling down on our town . To her it might be fascinating , but to us the habitants , we know how cruel that sight can turn .

The thing that got me over the edge was no other than the way she was chewing on her pen , unaware of the affect that small gesture had on me . I kept glaring at her just to give the impression to the others that I am angry at her for not paying attention . But that wasn't the case . I was infuriated by how she could sit there , look so adorable and act nonchalant while my heart jumps at the mention of her name .

Which is why I had to get her out of my class at all costs , so I started acting like a jerk and looked for any reason to send her out of my class for the last few days , earning a glare or a confused look from her , depends on her mood . And since her mood is almost always grumpy , I mostly get a glare .

Today again, here we are in a new day . Hannah , being the stubborn girl she is , has started sitting front row , participating more often in class and never letting her mind focus on anything but the lessons . I will never admit it out loud , but having her this close makes me feel as though standing near a chimney.

The girl is trying to prove that she cares about the subject I teach . I figured much when I read her first essay . It was marvelous to say the least . Hers and Paget Baldwin's have impressed me a lot .

Quite a friend Hannah found for herself .

I won't mention Iker because he apparently is only friends with Paget but expecting more from Hannah . Just the way he scares away the other boys from around her , always trying to make her laugh , which he does a good job at , tells a lot about his true feelings for her . She seems more at ease around him and Paget , but only around them . Yes she is nice to all her classmates , but never really seems to like them , just puts up with them since they share a class together .

« Stealing is wrong but starving can be painful enough to push people to do anything they could to stop it . »

« Well , people who starve are those who can't get themselves to find a proper job to support themselves . »

I watch the back and forth between Hannah and Lily Madden . Both of them are one of my brilliant students , especially that Hannah is now trying her best to stay in my class despite all . Hannah looks back at the girl , glaring at her .