Together, we are a family

Dedicated to Miss_Fictionist

"Being a family means you are a part of something very wonderful. It means you will love and be loved for the rest of your life." — Lisa Weed.

Juliet is clad only in black undergarments and a violet silk robe. Her usually vibrant brunette hair, coaxed into loose waves that mimicked natural curls, was now pulled back in a high ponytail, a touch of mascara darkened her lashes, and a deep red, the color of ripe cherries, stained her lips in a defiant contrast to the nervous flutter in her stomach.

Despite the outward appearance – the carefully styled hair, the bold lip color – anxiety gnawed at her. Juliet, usually the social butterfly, dreaded being the center of attention. She could charm anyone in a room, a skill honed through years of social ease. But tonight, the Carlton family dinner loomed like a storm cloud.

Keith and Erwin, her husband and father-in-law, respectively, were two peas in a pod – both demanding attention, both capable of inspiring a chilling fear in those around them. Juliet felt a pang of sympathy for the other guests, picturing them shrinking into their seats under the Carlton glare. But Keith, oh Keith... A soft smile tugged at her lips as she remembered his moments of unexpected sweetness. Those were the glimpses of the man she was falling for, the man buried beneath the usual cold and aggressive exterior.

Juliet peeked out of the closet doorway. Keith stood opposite the full-length mirror, meticulously adjusting his cufflinks. The late afternoon light streamed through the window, catching the silver flecks in his neatly combed hair and glinting off the polished surface of his watch.

"What's your family like?" Juliet ventured, the question hanging in the air.

Keith's reflection met hers in the mirror, a warm smile softening his features. "My cousins are a blast," he replied, turning to face her directly. "Uncles can be a bit rough around the edges, love to tease the new additions. But just be yourself, okay? I'm sure they'll love you."

Juliet wasn't entirely convinced, but a single nod was all she could manage before disappearing back into the closet's cool embrace. Moments later, she emerged, a vision in turquoise. The sleeveless dress flowed around her knees in the front, cascading to a dramatic ankle length in the back. A black belt cinched her waist, highlighting the hourglass curve Keith secretly adored. A matching turquoise pendant hung around her neck, catching the light with every move.

Nude heels elongated her legs, and delicate gold heart earrings swayed gently from her lobes. As Juliet appraised her reflection, a pair of strong arms encircled her bare shoulders. Sparks danced across her skin as Keith's fingers brushed against her.

"Breathtaking," he murmured into her ear, his voice a husky caress. A feather-light kiss landed in her hair, the warmth of his breath tingling the exposed skin on her neck.

Juliet offered a playful smile, meeting his gaze in the mirror. "You don't look so bad yourself," she teased. Her eyes flicked from his reflection to his face, taking in the way the crisp white shirt accentuated his broad shoulders. The grey blazer, a shade darker than his eyes, added a touch of formality that was playfully undone by the relaxed air of his untied dress shirt. A clean shave left his jawline sharp, and a hint of his mouthwatering cologne lingered in the air. The subtle scent, mingled with the warmth of his body radiating through his shirt as he stood close behind her, sent a blush creeping up her cheeks.

"I know," he replied with a slow, knowing smile. "You married the most ridiculously handsome man alive, remember?" His voice held a hint of amusement, a playful jab at her drunken compliment from their honeymoon. Juliet's blush deepened. Great, she thought, already flustered about dinner, and he had to dredge that up?