The Promise

Dedicated to: nenenas

"I was about half in love with her by the time we sat down. That's the thing about girls. Every time they do something pretty...you fall half in love with them, and then you never know where the hell you are." — J. D. Salinger

Juliet stirred, nestled against Keith's warm body, the familiar weight of his arm wrapped possessively around her waist. A delicious shiver danced down her spine as she felt his breath tickle the back of her neck, a phantom caress that sent a jolt of awareness through her.

Squinting at the blinking red numbers on the nightstand, Juliet's heart skipped a beat. 9:00 am. Tuesday already? Keith groaned beside her. His face nuzzled into the crook of her neck, his warm stubble sending a fresh wave of goosebumps erupting over her skin.

"I want to sleep," he mumbled, his voice thick with sleep and desire. His grip tightened, holding her as if she were a life raft in a stormy sea. "Just five more minutes," he mumbled, his voice thick with sleep.

Juliet rolled her eyes. She knew all too well how five minutes could easily turn into thirty. Besides, he had a high-powered job that demanded his attention, and she really needed to use the bathroom.

"Keith," she said, her voice a gentle nudge, "you need to get up for work."

"Mmm," he grumbled, tightening his grip subconsciously. Juliet felt trapped, a warmth both comforting and inconvenient.

"At least let me go to the bathroom!" she pleaded, a teasing lilt to her voice.

As if on cue, the words seemed to trigger something within him. His eyes fluttered open, a slow, sensual awakening that made Juliet's breath catch in her throat. A hint of amusement flickered in his grey eyes as they met hers.

"Morning, gorgeous," he murmured, his voice husky with sleep. The words, a silken caress, sent a blush creeping up her neck.

"Morning," she replied, a shy smile playing on her lips. With a sigh, Keith reluctantly loosened his hold, and Juliet reveled in the sudden freedom. A pang of something akin to loss shot through her, quickly extinguished by the urgent call of nature.

Emerging from the bathroom, a refreshed Juliet found Keith rummaging through his closet. He glanced up at her, a ghost of a smile on his lips. Without a word, he leaned in, placing a quick kiss on her cheek before disappearing into the steamy confines of the bathroom.

Juliet perched on the edge of the bed, the silence punctuated only by the rhythmic swish of the shower. Her phone buzzed on the nightstand, the caller ID flashing her father's name. A genuine smile bloomed on her face. There was nothing quite like the sound of her old man's voice to chase away the lingering remnants of sleep and usher in the day.

"Hi Dad!" Juliet chirped, the phone pressed against her ear. A wave of warmth washed over her as her father's voice boomed through the receiver, a familiar melody that sent a forgotten melody of childhood joy dancing through her chest.

"Juliet! My sunshine! How's my favorite daughter doing?" he boomed, the playful lilt in his voice instantly turning her smile genuine.

"I'm your only daughter, dad." Juliet playfully rolled her eyes at his comment. Straightening on the bed, Juliet replied, "I'm doing great. How about you? I've missed you tons! How's Jeremy?"

A hearty chuckle rumbled down the line. "We're both doing well, sweetheart! Seems Jeremy finally decided to bury the hatchet after Troy gave him a good talking to. I had no idea Troy and Keith knew each other from childhood! Apparently, Troy thinks you're settling in nicely."