Chapter 5: Confusion

Austronesian Empire, Imperial Maharlika, Maynilad, Malacanang Palace.

1999, 31, 4th Week, December.

The emperor sat deep within the bunker that was heavily designed to protect him from a nuclear fallout. He was sitting at an elegant yet humble kind of chair, while facing multiple televisions. There, he could see the top executives of the empire. They were currently devising a concrete plan that would deter any foreign force from setting foot on any Austronesian soil. As a result, fortifications were being erected across the region.

The weather may have blinded their systems, but the blazing heart of any Austronesian soldier cannot be underestimated. They would not think twice but to defend peace and unity that they have achieved and their as a soldier wouldn't allow any capitulation to the enemy. For them, it was death before surrender.

Throughout Austronesia, every soldier maintained a state of high alert in anticipation of potential crisis, but unfortunately, that crisis would eventually never come. Instead, what's about to come is a much more unthinkable thing to happen than when the capitalist, socialist, nationalist and monarchist united under the same banner and government.

The emperor back in his seat was thinking more rapidly than any person could ever think of.

Did those damn North Americans have already figured out that it was their spy that got hold of such crucial information? Are they trying to silence us by completely erasing our nation from the map? Did they already broke the spirit of their spy in such a short amount of time?

Unfortunately, they were too late.

"Even if they brought disaster on our lands, we have already alerted our brothers in Xinhua!" the Emperor mused, "We shall weather this through and through! The indomitable spirit of Mother Austronesia and her sons and daughters shall never falter!"

Panning back to the screen of the television, the emperor noticed that a new television had lit up. Looking through the bottom of the television where the name of what area of his government has joined the conversation.

[Intelligence Division Of Austronesian Constabulary]

Seeing this brought delight to the emperor's face as he is finally expecting some good news, such as any updates on their brothers in Xinhua being alerted of what is about to befall all of Asia.

One must not underestimate the brotherhood of Austronesians and the Xinhuans as they are more than fellow Asians but they the Austronesians, despite being mixed with other ethnic group came originally from Formosa and then mainland Xinhua. As far as one can tell, one could say that they are relatives by spirit and blood.

Unfortunately, the news would quickly sour the mood of the emperor and cast a shadow over the gathered officials.

"Your Majesty, I apologize for interrupting such an important meeting, but I bring dire news," began the Intelligence Officer gravely. "Unfortunately, we have been unable to contact our brothers in Xinhua, and we fear they may be experiencing the same fate as us. But in contradiction, we have also found that we aren't able to connect to or contact any known nations on the planet. We think that the storm effectively isolated us entirely from the rest of the world, your Majesty."

"What?!" exclaimed the emperor in shock.

The other officials in the room mirrored the emperor's shock, their expressions a mix of disbelief and concern. Earlier, they were summarized by the information that the emperor had received. One could say that their expressions weren't really anything positive as most of them were visibly furious and angry, while the others could hold back their emotions. Nonetheless, they were still disappointed by the behaviour of the North Americans.

The emperor's eyes wrinkled while his mouth moved downwards, and his expression was sour and firm. It was only when a few moments of tense silence had passed that the emperor spoke again.

"Has the military detected any unidentified aircraft or vessels in our skies or oceans?" the emperor inquired.

"As of now, we have detected nothing close to our oceans and sky, Supreme Commander," a general responded, "However, given how large the storm is, our systems could prove faulty at this time."

Only when in military and related matters the emperor could be called the Supreme commander.

The expression of the emperor went from being sour to calm, which went largely unnoticed by the officials. The emperor had to think swiftly and decisively, as he needed to get his nation out of this problem with minimal casualties.

"Alright, keep on scanning for potential bogies in our airspace and waters," the Emperor instructed, "Alert me even in the slightest change, as we need to be more vigilant during these uncertain times." 

"Affirmative, Supreme Commander," the general replied.

Meanwhile, the storm continued to swell, getting larger and larger that it already has practically covered the entire nation of Austronesia in its vast, omnious grasp. Thunders roars throughout the affected areas as the rain pours relentlessly. The severity escalated as the storm unleashed bursts of colorful lightning that flickered across the sky and changed from time to time. As if things weren't even yet, lightnings became more frequent and frequent than the average time the lightning strikes every time.

With how frequently lightnings were getting, those homes that were struck by it were lit by fire that whose color was crimson red, but thankfully, most citizens had been already evacuated in time. Observing the strange phenomenon happening throughout the country, the emperor called a retreat towards the bases for his soldiers, and for the navy to set sail back towards their respective ports. It seemed like they were fooled into thinking that the North Americans were going to attack them while they were under siege by the storm. Fortunately, it wasn't the case, so the emperor breathed a sigh of relief and thanked God that the North Americans weren't that much of an underhanded people, but he remained vigilant, mindful of the possibility of an assault once the storm passed.

The emperor's heart was throbbing as he consideres the looming aftermath of his country. The scale of destruction and reparation that would be needed and transpire would be astronomical, potentially setting that the country might not be able to recover for a few years.

As if the heavens dropped even more salt upon the beleaguered and wounded nation, a defeaning roar was heard throughout the lands of Austronesia, striking fear and discomfort to those who have heard it.

It seemed like that the Austronesians' trials were far from over, and an even greater misfortune seemed to began to unfold.