Even as Fools Walk Along the Road

Chapter Seven

"Remember this. She is unlike Rusk. She relies on subtlety and quiet strength rather than bravado and blunt force." Caddo had spent the day preparing her. "Rusk is a rabid dog, wild and foaming at the mouth yet easy to put down. Tyler is akin to a henchvine growing around its prey. It..."

"What's a henchvine?" Rison couldn't stop herself from interrupting.

"Listen child," answered Caddo, letting only a tiny hint of exasperation creep into his voice. "If you would only learn to keep your mouth shut and your ears open, it's amazing the things you'd learn." He paused and she knew he waited to see whether his admonition had fallen on deaf ears. She bit the inside of her cheek to keep quiet.

He continued. "The vine sends delicate tendrils to wrap around a sleeping or careless animal. Sometimes even a human. The vines ease into place so carefully and with such finesse, the prey becomes encased and helpless before it even realizes the danger. By then it is too late."

Rison considered his words. "Why not just get a knife and cut through the vines? Seems simple enough."

"I suppose it would be, if you could move. But by the time you realize you're trapped, the vine has already lulled you into a stupor. Even should you overcome that, it would have already begun to feed. I know of no one who has survived a henchvine."

Rison shuddered. "That is horrible. Why haven't I ever seen one?"

"Hopefully, you never will. They live in the deep wilds, places we rarely travel. Dangerous places...full of remnants left behind by the Visitors."

His words sent a chill chasing up her spine. "I can't even imagine a plant being able to eat someone."

Caddo's eyes narrowed, staring at the road ahead. "I'm not really sure you could call it a plant."

She accepted this without question. When the Visitors retreated back to wherever it was they originated, remnants of their imported life forms remained behind and few of them were ever pleasant. Minutes passed and the mule continued its inexorable trek toward the setting sun before she spoke again. "So Tyler, she is dangerous?"

Caddo had to laugh but his laughter contained little humor, she thought. "Oh yes, make no mistake. Tyler is a danger. The Touris of the other clans would fear her should they realize her true capabilities."

"If she is so evil, then why do we go to her?"

"Ahhh! Foolish girl! Who said anything about being evil? A sharp knife in the hands of a pup is dangerous, ain't it? But that certainly don't make it an evil knife. For once, use your head for something other than a place to store your ears."

Rison felt herself redden. "I get it. I should have asked why we were heading to her clan stronghold if she is so dangerous."

"That is better. The answer to your question though, I think is... complicated. Perhaps it is because she can be trusted." Caddo paused and pulled off his hat to run his fingers through his hair. He slapped the hat against his leg, sending a cloud of dust drifting away in the faint breeze then settled it back on his head and added in a low voice, "At least, I hope she can be trusted."

They rode in silence for some time with Rison grateful for the unexpected burst of conversation. The last five days had blended together in an excruciating blur of boredom. Caddo displayed little inclination to talk when he fell into one of these moods and Rison could do little to stir him into a discussion, unlike her profound ability to irritate him with her unsuccessful attempts. Yet this morning, after a meal of leathery jerky and equally dry biscuits, he launched into a dialogue about their destination, their mysterious cargo, and the Touri of the Blood clan.