The Secrets of Their Hearts are Laid Bare - Part B

Chapter Ten

Part B

Tyler sat speechless and Afton looked as though he would like to crawl under the table.

Caddo continued. "Many of my clan, and several of the others, believe the Mandu are benevolent and merciful. They have deluded themselves and have been misled by false teachings. The Mandu are those marooned by the Visitors. They were left behind at the Departure, whether for falling out of favor with those in command or deemed too aged or injured to be of value, or who really knows. I do know that they still possess the necessary items to allow them to subjugate us, to hamper our development, to control our weather."

Tyler took a moment to respond, filling the void by sipping from the cup before her. "Chief Trader, you have spoken only the truth in all the years I have known you. Your reputation as a man of integrity is known across the clans. Yet I listen to your words and cannot help but wonder if anything could be done? More importantly, what difference would it make?"

Caddo laced his fingers together and took another deep breath. "The mine site is tapping out. We will have only two, perhaps three seasons of harvest remaining."

Tyler blanched. "What? I am sorry. Am I to understand our crystal mine is dying?"

"Indeed. When that unfortunate event occurs, our clans--the Griff and the Blood--will have nothing to trade. We will be left to our own devices and eventually perish in the Wastelands. When we can no longer provide them with crystals, the Outlanders will destroy the bridge and we will be isolated. The other clans, still with viable and producing mines, will rise in power and allow us to wither."

Tyler did her best to mask the emotions that must be raging through her. Rison didn't fully understand the economics of the crystal trade, but even she realized the catastrophic nature of Caddo's revelation. Without trade from the north, life in the Wastelands would become increasingly hostile. Food, equipment, and other supplies, things that made existence bearable would cease to flow. Trade with Cairo would come to an end.

Six hundred years. That's how long crystals had been mined. The Rama had learned to survive and even thrive in the Wastelands, but it was all contingent on trade. One look at Tyler and it was clear she recognized the same thing.

"One would hope there would be a path away from this calamity," Tyler said.

"I believe there is," said Caddo. "The Mandu and all their equipment, their devices, and all the zelinx must be destroyed. Wiped from the face of the earth"

"Are you serious?" Confab protocol was evaporating. "Caddo, no one has survived a confrontation against them. We cannot even weather a direct attack from a zelinx, let alone an army of them."

Caddo leaned forward, grinning that predator-like grin only he could pull off.

"I have a plan."