Then Shall He Return Into His Land - Part A

Chapter Twenty-Six

Green had never played a prominent part in Wyatt's life. Green was the color of life, the color of growing things. Thus, green was foreign to him. Even in Cairo, a veritable utopia compared to the desolation of the Wastelands, plants were as alien as the Mandu. No trees, no crops, no gardens. Water was too precious to waste on plants.

Gray, rather, was the color that permeated and saturated everything in Wyatt's existence. He drifted along in a world devoid of color and life.

So it was that when their tiny caravan crested the rise and the lush expanse of the Blanchard Springs enclave arose from the barren hills, Wyatt gasped. The vibrant green spread before him in the distance like a banquet set before a man who had never before seen food. It was a stunning scene and yet one that filled him with anxiety. He had never encountered anything like this place.

The color was overwhelming. And the smell! Even from this distance, the faint breeze carried unusual scents, aromas he intuitively identified as the scents of life.

He turned to the others. "How is this possible?"

They laughed, even Caddo.

"Water," answered Bono. "Water makes it possible."

Bryant capered about in excitement. "And just wait, Wyatt! Wait till you see the cavern! You've never seen anything like it."

Wyatt glanced about for Rison but she trailed far behind, her head hung low. His disappointment created a void inside, for he longed to share with her his sense of wonder at the impossible spectacle unfolding before them. She had crawled into a shell and shut everyone out, growing more withdrawn with each passing mile. He did not understand. He felt befuddled and tongue-tied in her presence, yet he longed to be near her. Women were... what's the word? Confusing. That was it.

He was positive she considered him to be a complete idiot. And he didn't blame her! Let's see: I'm a Speck, she's seen me drooling, beaten, and bleeding, I have this bizarre link with alien monsters, and the Griff clan wants me dead. There is nothing about me that could prove to be intriguing. And she's right, I am a complete idiot.

The only course of action, the only thing that makes any sense at all, is for me to just keep my mouth shut and avoid her. Boss would be pleased I finally learned that! If I don't say anything, I can't say anything stupid. And if I avoid her, she can't see how pathetic I truly am.

Voices interrupted his thoughts.

"You can bet Rusk won't tolerate my presence at Blanchard Springs. He will move to drive me from the clan and send me away." The voice painted a grim picture. It was Caddo, preparing the group for what he suspected was to come.

"He wouldn't," said Bono, his voice rising in defiance. "He may be the Touri, but you have the hearts of the people. They're not gonna let him do anything like that."

"Caddo?" Wyatt asked. "Can Rusk do that? Can he send you away?"

"He is the Touri of the Griff clan. If he suspects the clan is threatened and in danger, his word becomes law and none dare refute him."

Ahead, where the road snaked into the verdant canopy, a small party of riders emerged.

Caddo drew up and waited until his group was gathered around him, then nodded toward the approaching riders. "Here they come. I only ask that each of you be strong. There will be a time of testing ahead. Difficulties. And..."