The Secrets of Their Hearts are Laid Bare - Part A

Chapter Ten

Part A

Nothing remained of the fire other than a bed of glowing embers, perfect for the task at hand. Chunks of meat were skewered and roasting, their juices dripping into the coals and hissing like an angry snake. Tantalizing aromas wafted into the air.

Rison squirmed, hoping to mask the growl any second she was sure her stomach would be producing but knowing protocol at a confab would frown on such a breach of propriety. Caddo had spent hours schooling her on confab protocol, drilling the do's and the don'ts into her memory, reviewing the ancient rituals and procedures, learning to recognize the subtleties of mood and expression that conveyed meaning without words. A raised eyebrow outside a confab might mean doubt, but during a confab such an innocent gesture could mean much more. It was mind numbing really, but Caddo had kept at it with her for years.

"Please forgive our poor accommodations and our plain fare, Chief Trader. We are but a humble clan and live simply," said Afton, Tyler's second. He was probably just a year or two older than her seventeen years but what really caught her eye was the color of his hair. He was blond, a rarity in her experience. Caddo had assured her blondes were once fairly common, especially in different parts of the world. It was only after the Visitors abandoned Earth that the remaining population became homogenized--another word of his he had been forced to explain--with both hair and skin color becoming more uniform. He claimed the earth had once been filled with people with dark skin or some with light skin, and each had different types and colors of hair. It was impossible! But there were too few people remaining alive to segregate into racial groups. The only segregation these days was between those who lived north of the river and those of the Wastelands. How he knew all this obscure stuff remained a mystery, but she believed him. She believed all he said--well, everything but the part about people with red hair! Even she wasn't that gullible.

Upon entrance to the grotto, a sumptuous spread had been laid out before them. In addition to the meat sizzling over the brazier of coals, a dazzling array of foods stretched out on the tables. She kept her eyes forward, doing her best to keep from gawking at the banquet surrounding them. The solemnity of the confab would surely be ruined if she were caught gazing at the food and salivating like a hungry hog at the feed trough.

"Your hospitality and generosity do you and your clan and all the Rama a great service," answered Caddo. He played his part in the ritual of introduction as if born to it. "It is I who am humbled by the kindness your Touri has bestowed."

Caddo bowed from the waist to Tyler. She paused, saying nothing, and when he straightened, she returned the bow with one of her own, ever so slightly less in depth than his. She was the host after all. She then gestured for all to join her at the table. Caddo allowed Tyler to be seated, then settled himself to the low bench and waited. Both Rison and Afton remained standing and would act as servers for now.

"It would please me to serve you, Chief Trader," said Afton when it appeared Caddo had become comfortable.

This was Rison's cue. Her role to play at the confab sent a twinge of anxiety through her and she hoped she didn't botch it. "Your kindness to a weary traveler is received with gratitude," she said. "Yet it would be inconsiderate of us to receive food before that of our host. If you would allow me the honor of serving your Touri, it would express our thankfulness for your generosity and succor."

Succor. It was a word Rison did not recognize before her training. Help. It means help, Caddo had explained. Used appropriately, it will send a message and a response will be required.