For There is Nothing Hidden

Chapter Twenty-Two

Wyatt collapsed into the street beside the dead zelinx, all strength having drained away. He heard the sounds of someone approaching and felt strong arms lift him, bearing him into the building then placing him gently on the floor. After some time he heard voices, those he recognized and had thought for the longest time he would never hear again.

"Get water," said a commanding voice. It was Caddo.

There was much discussion, most of it blended into a mishmash of gibberish. Had he the strength to talk he could have pointed out the only available water was that which Bryant brought with him out of the caravan. The supplies of Caddo had been strapped to the back of two horses that were probably still running for their lives.

Later, a trickle of moisture flowed into his mouth and he began to feel closer to normal. He thought back to the events in the street, knowing they would have questions. They would want to know what happened. They would want to know how he commanded the zelinx and caused it to attack the other. They would need to understand his unnatural connection to the beasts.

He needed to know the answers himself.

But there were no answers. All he knew was that he could see into the minds of the creatures, he understood them. He could sense what motivated them and even see through their eyes. And once he knew them, it had been only a short step to controlling them. But oh, how terrible the cost. He could remember the battle in every vivid detail, he could feel every wound sustained by the beast now stretched out dead on the road. It had been so real at the time but now was little more than a remnant of a passing dream evaporating like water on a hot rock.

He opened his eyes and pulled himself up. A faint glow bloomed on the horizon and filled the building in a soft light as day eased into existence. Bryant was there, looking on with obvious concern. Bono reclined a few feet away, his leg bound in a makeshift splint. Caddo stood at the gaping hole at the front of the building, silhouetted by the morning light. His gaze seemed focused on the surrounding terrain. Wyatt knew in that moment Caddo was the rock on which all others would break. It was he in whom those who were weaker placed their trust. And all were weaker, Wyatt realized.

And Rison. She knelt beside him, her expression a curious mixture of concern and caution. He appreciated the concern and did not begrudge her the caution.

"I guess you've changed." She said. It came out more as a question.

"Maybe." He thought about it for a moment. "I don't feel any different."

"Yeah, but..." She hesitated.

"I guess you wanna know all about the zelinx thing. Right?" No sense running for cover. "I can't explain it. I don't understand it and it confuses me."

She hung her head and Wyatt felt a tiny pain inside, something he couldn't describe. He didn't want to disappoint or frighten her. He needed her approval, her acceptance.

He started to speak but Caddo chose that moment to turn and kneel beside him. "How do you feel," he asked.

Wyatt shrugged. "Better. But I... do you know what is happening to me?"

Caddo stared through the missing wall to the landscape coming into view with the growing light. He pulled his hat from his head and placed it on the ground beside him. He rubbed the stubble that had formed on his face and took a slug of water from Bryant's skin. "Yeah, I do," he said after a moment. "At least I think I do."