Chapter 1

Our lives are not measured in time, friends or even worthless money, but in memories. If that was the case, then my life was something that had been taken away from me. The bigger half of my entire lifelong memories had been wiped out. The only thing I could remember at the time was my name, and certain family members. I had been told that I was at the age of 15 when this happened. The story that I had no recollection of had been told like this.

January 13th, 2018. Me and my mother driving down a seemingly endless road in a pearly white blizzard. Out of nowhere, headlights flashed through our windshield, blinding my mother and I. A car crashed into us, hitting us hard enough for my mother to lose control of the car. Spinning around, flipping, glass breaking, until... crack. Right into a tree.

I remember, in a series of blurs, being rushed into the hospital. Nurses holding up towels to my head, trying their best to stop the blood. In the ER, my family members were desperately attempting to make sure I knew who they were. I had no problem remembering them. It was remembering how I grew up with them that was giving me trouble.

And the thing that I remember most of all; Evan Greendale. Once my family had left the hospital room to give me some space, the love of my life walked past the door. The second he walked past, he glanced at me, smiling a stunning smile, and I sensed something so familiar... so unforgettable about him. Dirty blonde hair that was pushed up, penetrating eyes that appeared to be a cross of golden and green. He was so unreal. He was a walking daydream.

About 2 years later, now at the age of 17, I still have trouble recalling how I met him. But the flashbacks I saw often had hinted that I was about 8 when I did. I saw visions of a forest, running around with young Evan, playing soccer. But that was all I could remember of us. But I could easily remember that I was unconditionally in love with him. As we spent more time together, I started to recall certain details about him. And each day, my love for him grew. At this point, we were dating, but hadn't said "I love you" yet. And let me tell you, I was counting the minutes until it would happen.

As for everything else, a few things slowly came into view. I started to remember things about myself. From important things like my birthday, to fun facts about myself like my favorite color. I knew that I was a dancer, so when I started dancing, something naturally kicked in. I knew I had been at PointAisle middle school and now went to Turnerson Bellows High School, etc. Obviously I remembered the simple things like stuff I learned in school, which made things easier than they could have been academically. The few things that I could somehow muster up in my faded mental scrapbook made it easier to figure out who I was. But Evan...? He was forever a mystery. However, I found that exciting.

Which brings me to now, present day. I was laying on my bed, attempting unsuccessfully to drift off to sleep. That's when I heard something hit my window. I walked up to it, lifting up the glass when I saw Evan standing there. I smiled.

"What are you doing here, Evan?" I asked.

"I came to see you," he answered. He climbed up the tree by my bedroom window swiftly and effortlessly.

"Come on out," he urged, motioning for me to join him.

"My mom would kill me."

"Come on, live a little." I was in no position to give up making possible memories. So I climbed awkwardly out of my window. Carefully, I slowly made my way into the almost naked tree branches. It was fall time so the only sound was the chilly breeze of the night and the crunching of browned leaves. I sat on a branch, assuring that it was sturdy and steady. He took off his jacket and laid it on my shoulders.

"Your jacket, M'lady," he said with a fake British accent. I chuckled.

"Why thank you, sir," I returned in a British accent as well. He leaned in and pecked me on the lips. He took a seat on the branch beside me, resting his hands on the branch above him for support.