Chapter 3

A/N

Hey guys!

This chapter's shoutout: EmmaSierra0

Thanks for being such a good friend and reading first! I hope you all enjoy this chapter. It's a little short, but it's filled with twists and turns...

*MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! >:) lol*

----------

"Excuse me?" I asked, knowing I probably hadn't heard him correctly.

"You have Dementia." he repeated. I felt my knees get weak.

"How did I get Dementia?!" I asked. He rested his elbows on his knees and folded his hands.

"Well, the symptoms of Dementia can be forgetfulness, mood swings, difficulty sleeping, and in rare cases, which is your case, hallucinations..." he began. I closed my eyes to refrain from bursting into tears as I tried to pretend this wasn't happening.

"Keep going." I ordered him.

"I suspect that you had Dementia before your car crash, but your symptoms were not severe in any aspect whatsoever. In that sense, it was very hard to tell you had this disorder, therefore you were only mildly affected. Like... forgetting a football outside, tossing and turning in bed at night, or even something as innocent as having an imaginary friend." I saw my mother tense up.

"These are things that can be considered as common. But once the accident happened, your symptoms were somehow amplified. It's just, in your case, the hallucination side effect that you suffer from was amplified very, very strongly." he continued. I sat there, dumbfounded.

"So... that's it? I just have Dementia?" I asked, slightly humored. They sat there in silence.

"Well, the good news is that the only thing that really became stronger are your hallucinations. Everything else was only mildly affected... we're still trying to figure out the kinks, but I've never seen a case like this." he replied, rubbing his jaw in deep thought.

"So, you mean to tell me that Evan isn't real?" I scoffed. I saw my mother look down when she heard Evan's name.

"Get outta here! You're kidding me, right? I mean, is this all just some sick joke?" I yelled, humor fading away into rage. Dr. Gillian stood and walked up to an X-Ray of my brain pinned up on the board.

"Well, that's not exactly all..." he said mystically. My eyebrows raised up.

"Wait, you mean there's more?!" I asked, outraged.

"Look here." he said, pointing to a highlighted section of my brain with a pen.

"The parts of your brain that light up when you're, uh... let's say dreaming or imagining things, those are the part we saw that were constantly in use..." he educated me.

"I, uh, I don't quite yet know why that is." he finished. I held my head in my hands. When I could finally wrap my head around the concept of all he had told me, I looked at him, hands folded together.

"So wait, w-what does all this... mean?" I asked him. He took a long pause before sitting back down. He looked me dead in the face. I'd never seen him more serious, so I braced myself. Then he sat back in his chair and sighed. I shivered when he spoke.

"Well, Valeri, you... you can't tell the difference between dreams and reality."

----------

I felt my heart drop to the pit of my stomach as a teardrop swelled up to the brim of my eyes, challenging me to fight back. There was a part of me that didn't want to believe it, in any way, shape, or form. How was I supposed to take something like this? But then there was the other part, the dominant part, that knew that this was true and that I had to come to terms with it...