Chapter 3

Chapter 3: Career Move

Jackson tossed another fifty pound sack of grain in the back of his pickup and swiped his glove across his forehead. He watched Sage's Dodge Ram roll through the gates of Hank's Feed and Seed and pull alongside his F350. "Howdy Sage," he called when his neighbor jumped out of the cab.

"Howdy, Jackson. How're things at the Triple T?"

"Haven't had many emergencies...today," he laughed.

"Isn't that how it goes." Sage grabbed a feed sack from the pile and hefted it onto the bed of his truck.

Jackson asked, "So, did Jacob and Julie have fun on their honeymoon?" He chuckled. "Kind of a dumb question. Who wouldn't have fun on their honeymoon?"

Sage grinned. "They got back two weeks ago and they've already imparted enough history and geography of Alaska that I could teach a high school class."

Jackson laughed. "Would you let them know I haven't forgotten about inviting them to dinner? They're staying with you, right?"

"Yep, until that little house on the property I gave them is refurbished. It's more like a cottage, but they'll be able to enlarge it over the years."

Jackson mused, "I remember the first time I met Jacob. He was quite the city slicker. Who'd have thought he'd turn into one of the best ranch hands in the county. If he didn't work for you, I'd hire him in a New York minute."

"I know what you mean. He's my backup foreman and seems to love the work. Hey, did I tell you he won the blue ribbon in roping at the Montezuma County Rodeo?"

"No. That's awesome! Is he planning on entering more competitions?"

"Oh yeah. In fact, he and Julie were filling out forms last night. She's entering some trick riding events with Precious Pudding."

Jackson chuckled. "I laugh every time I hear that horse's name." He reached for his last bag of grain. "So, did Annie recuperate after the wedding and get back to Las Vegas okay?" He kept his eyes on the sacks in his truck.

"Yep, she left a week after the wedding. But–" Sage paused and pushed his Stetson back, "–she's returning—moving here, actually."

Jackson jerked his gaze toward Sage. "What brought that about?"

"Sarah talked her into it. She finally convinced her she needs to be around family and friends."

"Hey, that's great." Jackson's heart thumped. "Is she going to stay with you or Jacob?"

"She's only staying with us temporarily. She insisted that we understand she doesn't want to be a burden." Sage shook his head. "That woman couldn't be a burden if she tried. Anyway, after she gains employment, we're gonna help her find her own place."

"Why's she looking for work? Didn't that scum husband of hers leave her anything? Oh, sorry for adding my two cents about her husband."

"Don't worry about it. I never liked him either. I only met him a couple times after that first summer. In my opinion, he hadn't changed a bit. Anyway, back to your question, she's just about destitute. Of course that's just between you and me 'cause I know you've always been fond of her." Sage paused and leaned against his truck.

Jackson exclaimed, "Are you shitin' me? He left her with nothing?"

Sage nodded.

"So what kind of job is she looking for?"

Sage snorted. "She told us all she knows how to do is clean. Said she's gonna apply for janitorial or housekeeping positions. Not that I have anything against janitorial jobs, but she's kinda small and some of that labor is heavy. I tried offering her a job helping Sarah, but she refused. Said she knew I was doing it out of charity and would never take money for helping my family."

Jackson cursed under his breath. "A janitor—that's horseshit. I'll bet she'd be great running a household and, as a matter of fact, I've got an opening at the Triple T for someone to run the main house. There wouldn't be any heavy labor. She can hire that out. You think she might be interested? The job also comes with that cottage out by the river." Jackson's heart pounded in his ears.

Sage took his hat off and dusted it on his leg. "All I can do is present the offer." He looked at the sky and then back at Jackson. "You still got feelins' for her?"

"Come on, Sage, that was five years ago and I was only twenty-six."

"Well, I kinda feel like her guardian and I want to make sure your intentions are honorable."

"Give it a rest. I just want what's best for her, too."

"I believe you. I'll mention your offer." He chuckled and asked, "Besides the cottage being a perk, is the pay good?"

"Very good."

* * *

Ann stepped out of her newly purchased 1984 Toyota Corolla. She'd sold her late model Buick Enclave to generate more money to live on until she gained employment. She waved at Sarah who was rushing down the porch steps followed by Toby and Preston. Sarah hugged her and each twin grabbed one of her legs.

"We're so glad you're here!" said Sarah.

"Yeah, Auntie Ann," said Preston.

"Did you bring us a surprise?" asked Toby.

"Toby! You don't ask people questions like that," Sarah scolded.

"Why not? We got a surprise before," he sulked.

Ann laughed. "As a matter of fact, I did bring a little something." She winked at Sarah.

"You're spoiling these boys."

"I know. But I can't help myself."

Sarah knelt beside the twins. "You boys go in the house and wash up for lunch and maybe we'll see what Auntie Ann brought you after we eat. I'm teaching you patience."

Toby tucked his chin to his chest. "I don't want to learn patience."

Sarah hugged him, "I know and that's exactly why you're going to learn it. Now giddy-up and go wash. We'll be in the house in a minute."

Preston grabbed Toby's hand and pulled him toward the porch. "Come on, Toby. What do you think our surprise is? Let's guess, 'kay?"

Ann and Sarah both chuckled when the boys started naming everything on their wish lists. Ann opened the hatch of her car and lifted a suitcase.

"Here, let me help." Sarah reached for another one. "Sage will be back soon and he can unload the rest of your things. You know, of course, we have no problem sending some of the hands to pack up your storage unit. There's plenty of room in the barn to store your things."

"It's just a small unit with some keepsakes. I sold everything else. It'll wait 'til I get my own place. But thanks for offering."

They started toward the house but when they reached the porch steps, Sarah paused. "I just can't wait to tell you something."

Ann looked at her. "You're pregnant?"

"Goodness no, not that we'd mind, but this has to do with your job search. Guess who's looking for a housekeeper?"

Ann's spirit lifted at the thought of finding a job so quickly and doing something she was good at. "Oh, tell me."

"Jackson Martinez needs someone to oversee his main house. He told Sage there's no heavy maintenance because it can be hired out. He wants someone to keep the place running smooth and prepare meals. And it's got a great perk."

Ann's heart raced. As if Jackson isn't a great perk.

Sarah continued, "The job comes with a small cottage. I remember seeing it when Jackson gave us a tour after he'd bought the place. At that time he was renovating it. It's adorable and right on the bank of the river—only a few minutes walk to the main house. What do you think?"

Ann started up the porch steps and said with her back to Sarah, "I'll certainly consider it."