Chapter 13

Chapter 13: HFH

Jackson made a phone call to Alligator and he answered on the second ring. "Hey Jackson, good to hear from you. Are you tired of mucking stalls and ready to come back to the excitement of the Big Apple?"

"This isn't a pleasure call. I've been robbed and I want your help in finding the culprit."

"Whoa. Don't say anything else. You still got the other phone number I gave you?"

"Yes."

"Call me on it. It's shielded from voyeurs."

"Okay, give me a few minutes to retrieve it."

"I'll be waiting."

Five minutes later Jackson punched the private number he'd forgotten Alligator had given him a couple of years back. Jackson knew his friend worked for the government, and since he was always so hush hush about his work, he figured it was with the FBI, CIA, or something like that.

Alligator picked up. "Okay, buddy, tell me what's up."

"Like I said, I've been robbed."

"How much?"

"Fifty grand."

Alligator whistled. "When did it happen?"

"Eight days ago. I've been to the bank and they said the transaction originated from my own computer. They're doing an investigation, but before I make a stink, I want to see what they come up with. I know you have inside contacts so maybe you could give me some advice."

"Tell me exactly what happened."

Jackson detailed everything he knew. "Annie said no one came to the house that day. I guess people can figure this stuff out from a remote site," he finished.

"Er...Jackson, I think you need to sit down for this."

"What? Tell me what's on your mind."

"I know you have feelings for Annie–"

"What the hell does that have to do with anything?"

"Let me finish."

"Okay. Okay."

"When I came to visit and you introduced me to Annie or Ann Hackstetter, the name seemed familiar. After I got back to New York, I pulled some files. I could only get the basics because my clearance isn't high enough...but it was enough to confirm what I suspected. Anyway, are you sitting down?"

"Shit, Alligator. I'm sitting down. Spit it out."

"Ann Hackstetter goes by the handle, 'Hack.' She's a genius at hacking computers. She was a member of an elite organization called HFH, which stands for Hackers from Hell. You don't join that organization unless you're invited...and you have to be the cream of the crop to be invited. It's her. I saw her picture."

Jackson was speechless.

"Are you still there, Jackson?"

Silence.

"Do I need to call the paramedics?"

Jackson croaked, "You're bullshitin' me, right?"

"Wish I were."

"How long have you known this?"

"I finished my investigation about a week ago."

"Were you ever going to tell me?"

"Yeah, I was just waiting for the right time."

"Looks like you found it."

"Yeah. I'm sorry. I'll alert my supervisors. They'll probably have someone from the Denver office pick her up for questioning."

"No! Don't alert anyone yet."

"What! You've just been ripped off of fifty big ones by a notorious hacker living under your roof who can steal with her eyes closed, and you don't want to do anything? Are you sleeping with her?"

"No! I just need time to think. Promise me you'll keep quiet until I give you the go ahead."

"You are one love sick puppy. Okay, my lips are sealed for now. Of course, that puts my job on the line if anyone finds out I'm withholding info."

"I don't know what to say, except thanks."

"I'll expect a call every couple of days so I know what's going on."

"I understand. I'll talk to you soon." Jackson terminated the call and ran a hand through his hair. What the hell am I going to do?