Chapter 9

Chapter 9: Molly's Surprise

Standing on Sage and Sarah's front porch, Ann hugged Jacob and Julie goodbye and swiped tears from her eyes.

"Mom, it's only for three or four months," said Jacob.

"I know. I'm just being a mom."

Toby tugged on Jacob's Levis. "You wanna toss me 'fore ya go?"

"Yeah, me too." Preston ran across the porch to wait his turn.

Jacob bent and picked Toby up. "You mean like this." He tossed Toby in the air and caught him again.

Toby squealed. "That's what I talkin' 'bout."

"My turn, my turn," yelled Preston.

After Preston got tossed, Sage said, "Okay boys, say goodbye to your sister and Jacob."

The boys obeyed and then ran in the house to find their next adventure.

"Well, I guess that's it," said Julie. "Everything's loaded in the truck." She and Jacob hugged everyone again. "Thanks, Dad, for making this possible."

"Anything for my little girl," he teased.

"I know what you mean," Jacob agreed. "Anything for my wife." He kissed her cheek and then nipped her ear.

"Ouch." She playfully pushed at his chest and then grabbed his hand to pull him toward the truck where Beaner waited to drive them to the Denver Airport. "I'll call when I can," she yelled, ducking inside the cab. After Jacob got in, she leaned across him to yell out the window, "Love y'all!"

Ann saw Sarah and Sage both dab their eyes. A crashing noise from the front room interrupted the melancholy moment.

Toby yelled, "Mom, we had acc'dent!"

Sarah rolled her eyes and started toward the door.

"I'll take care of it, honey," said Sage, and opened the screen door.

Ann said to Sarah, "I'm headed to town. Do you want to join me?"

"Thanks, but I'll have to pass. These boys are over-the-top rambunctious today. I better stay and help Sage. We talked about taking them on a horseback ride to the river. Maybe they can swim off some of their energy."

"Okay. I'll call you next week."

When Ann reached Main Street, she stopped at Dixie's Cuppa Joe and ordered a fancy frozen drink.

Dixie stood behind the register. "Hello, Ann. It's nice seeing you again. The drink's on me."

"Goodness, no." Ann opened her purse.

Dixie laughed. "Goodness, yes. I insist. I really enjoyed dinner with Sage and Sarah and you and Jackson."

"Yes, they're good people." Before she could talk herself out of it, Ann said, "Would you like to join me at the Triple T for lunch next week? I can manage just about any day that's good for you."

Dixie slipped a stray lock behind her ear. "You know, that would be peachy. I'm free on Thursday."

"Perfect. How does noon sound? Do you know how to get to the ranch?"

"Noon would be great. As for finding the Triple T, I've passed the entrance many times. Does the road just wind into the hills and to the ranch?"

"Yes. It's about two miles past the main gate, which is always open during the day. Here, let me give you my cell phone number."

Dixie reached into her pocket for her cell phone and entered the number.

After Ann left the coffee shop, she pondered how she could get Jackson to eat with them. She decided that being straightforward and asking him to join them would be the best plan. When she got home, she was going to call Sarah and give her the scoop on her own matchmaking efforts.