Epilogue

Annie grinned at Jackson when he entered the kitchen looking tired and dirty. The fact that he no longer needed his cane and only walked with a slight limp, filled her heart with joy. She said, "You look like you tussled with a herd of cows and lost the battle."

He chuckled. "I think ol' Bessie got the last laugh."

She walked over and put her arms around her husband and kissed him loudly.

"Hey, Annie, now that you've got trail dust all over you too, why don't we do the big bathtub thing and I can tell you again how much I love you."

"Jackson, that's all well and good, but I really want you to show me."

"Whatever your heart desires."

An hour later they were still in the bathtub. While Annie scrubbed Jackson's back, she said, "Did I ever tell you about the young mother I met at the bus depot when I picked up my granny?"

"Not that I remember. Oh, that feels good—a little more to the left."

Annie moved her hand over. "Anyway, she had the cutest baby girl. She said she and her husband were planning on having at least six kids spaced far apart. She wanted to have her last one in her forties, which would put over twenty years between her youngest and oldest."

"Hmm. Down a little, please."

Annie moved her hand lower. "How's that?"

"Wonderful."

"Anyway, getting back to the gal with the baby; we're going to have something in common because Jacob will be almost twenty-three when our baby is born." She stilled her hand and waited for Jackson's reaction.

Swiftly he turned to face her and water sloshed out of the tub. A smile of such delight lit his face that Annie felt inexpressible joy.

"Annie," he breathed, "that's wonderful!" Touching his lips to hers, he said, "Have I ever told you how much I love you?"

* * *

Annie listened to Jackson's occasional snores and placed a hand on her belly. The sonogram had revealed their baby was a girl.

Dawn's golden light suffused their bedroom and Spike snuggled at their feet. She reached for the book on her nightstand and reread the ending of Honey Kisses, written by her best friend, Sarah Tanner, alias Mims Murphy.

Fannie Mendoza gazed lovingly at their newborn daughter. Beside her, Johnson ran the tip of his finger over the baby's silky blond hair. Surprisingly, the infant opened her eyes and stared directly at her father. Fannie held her breath and captured the moment in a mental snapshot to be forever cherished in her heart. Johnson looked from the baby to her and smiled so proudly she wanted to cry and laugh at the same time.

"What do you think we should name her?" he asked.

"I was thinking 'Angel' would be pretty."

He looked back at the baby and said, "Angel Mendoza—perfect."

Annie closed the book and sighed. When Jackson had asked what she wanted to name their baby and she'd suggested, "Angel," his response had been, "I think that's perfect."